Re: [dxatlas] IonoProbe Stealing Resources

  • James Streible
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
      I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
      After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
      menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
      Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
      put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
      but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
      new data.

      I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
      was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
      my CPU.

      Jim K4DLI

      Robert Carroll wrote:

      > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
      > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
      > Ionoprobe on
      > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
      > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
      >
      > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
      > task
      > manager.
      >
      > I use XP SP2,
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Bob W2WG
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

    • James Streible
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
        Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
        words.
        Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
        checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
        wrong word.

        Jim K4DLI

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
          Same symptoms on my version 1.35 IonoProbe. I also don't have the normal
          menu items at the top of the window which allow for manual data
          download. All data windows are just blank and greyed out. I run Win XP
          Pro with all currently known upgrades.

          Bruce, K2BET
          -----------------------

          James Streible wrote:

          > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
          > words.
          > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
          > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
          > wrong word.
          >
          > Jim K4DLI
          >
          > James Streible wrote:
          > >
          > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
          > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
          > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
          > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
          > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
          > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
          > > new data.
          > >
          > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
          > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
          > > my CPU.
          > >
          > > Jim K4DLI
          > >
          > > Robert Carroll wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
          > > problem, but
          > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
          > > > Ionoprobe on
          > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
          > > requires
          > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
          > > >
          > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
          > > > task
          > > > manager.
          > > >
          > > > I use XP SP2,
          > > >
          > > > 73
          > > >
          > > > Bob W2WG
          > > >
          > > > _____
          > > >
          > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

        • George Vincent
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
            WOW, am I a glutton for punishment. Tried to open Ionoprobe 1.35 and
            experienced the same as everyone else.

            I was going to delete IONOPROBE, but instead just opened Windows Task
            Manager and opened the Processes tab and ended Ionoprobe.exe

            Immediately my system resources increased and my computer started running as
            a 3.2 MHz machine should. I am certainly glad that this was brought to my
            attention. I couldn't figure out why my computer became so sluggish.

            TNX for the heads up on this one. I too await a response from Alex.

            73,
            George Vincent K3GV

            DX: Long may it live !
            If it isn't LOGic, it isn't LOGging

            James Streible wrote:

            > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
            > words.
            > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
            > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
            > wrong word.
            >
            > Jim K4DLI
            >
            > James Streible wrote:
            > >
            > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
            > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
            > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
            > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
            > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
            > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
            > > new data.
            > >
            > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
            > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
            > > my CPU.
            > >
            > > Jim K4DLI
            > >
            > > Robert Carroll wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
            > > problem, but
            > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
            > > > Ionoprobe on
            > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
            > > requires
            > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
            > > >
            > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
            > > > task
            > > > manager.
            > > >
            > > > I use XP SP2,
            > > >
            > > > 73
            > > >
            > > > Bob W2WG
            > > >
            > > > _____
            > > >
            > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            13:34