RE: [dxatlas] IonoProbe Stealing Resources

  • Robert Carroll
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
      I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
      being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up Ionoprobe on
      a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
      almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.

      Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with task
      manager.

      I use XP SP2,

      73

      Bob W2WG

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
        Tnx for the confirmation Mike!

        Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
        until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

        73 Eric..

      • Stan Huntting
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@...> wrote:

          > Alex/Gang,
          >
          > I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
          > checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
          > percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar
          icon no
          > longer brings up the program.

          Same here. I have disabled IonoProbe until I see a fix from Alex. This
          bug is a show-stopper! (WinXP/SP2)

          Stan, KW7KW
        • John T. Fleming
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
            I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
            of memory.

            73,

            John

            _____

            Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
            until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

            73 Eric..

          • Michael Pfeuffer
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
              FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

              --Mike

              At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
              >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
              >of memory.
              >

              >73,
              >
              >John
              >

              > _____

            • Dan Schaaf
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                Same here with XP Home. Bad Data hangup

                Best Regards
                Dan Schaaf
                ===============================
                NOBSKA
                www.nobska.net
                ===============================
                Cape Cod Instruments
                www.oceanbiz.net
                ===============================
                FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

                --Mike

                At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
                >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                >of memory.
                >

                >73,
                >
                >John
                >

                > _____

              • James Streible
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                  I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                  After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                  menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                  Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                  put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                  but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                  new data.

                  I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                  was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                  my CPU.

                  Jim K4DLI

                  Robert Carroll wrote:

                  > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
                  > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                  > Ionoprobe on
                  > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
                  > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                  >
                  > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                  > task
                  > manager.
                  >
                  > I use XP SP2,
                  >
                  > 73
                  >
                  > Bob W2WG
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                • James Streible
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                    Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                    words.
                    Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                    checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                    wrong word.

                    Jim K4DLI

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                      Same symptoms on my version 1.35 IonoProbe. I also don't have the normal
                      menu items at the top of the window which allow for manual data
                      download. All data windows are just blank and greyed out. I run Win XP
                      Pro with all currently known upgrades.

                      Bruce, K2BET
                      -----------------------

                      James Streible wrote:

                      > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                      > words.
                      > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                      > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                      > wrong word.
                      >
                      > Jim K4DLI
                      >
                      > James Streible wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                      > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                      > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                      > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                      > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                      > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                      > > new data.
                      > >
                      > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                      > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                      > > my CPU.
                      > >
                      > > Jim K4DLI
                      > >
                      > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                      > > problem, but
                      > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                      > > > Ionoprobe on
                      > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                      > > requires
                      > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                      > > >
                      > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                      > > > task
                      > > > manager.
                      > > >
                      > > > I use XP SP2,
                      > > >
                      > > > 73
                      > > >
                      > > > Bob W2WG
                      > > >
                      > > > _____
                      > > >
                      > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                    • George Vincent
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                        WOW, am I a glutton for punishment. Tried to open Ionoprobe 1.35 and
                        experienced the same as everyone else.

                        I was going to delete IONOPROBE, but instead just opened Windows Task
                        Manager and opened the Processes tab and ended Ionoprobe.exe

                        Immediately my system resources increased and my computer started running as
                        a 3.2 MHz machine should. I am certainly glad that this was brought to my
                        attention. I couldn't figure out why my computer became so sluggish.

                        TNX for the heads up on this one. I too await a response from Alex.

                        73,
                        George Vincent K3GV

                        DX: Long may it live !
                        If it isn't LOGic, it isn't LOGging

                        James Streible wrote:

                        > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                        > words.
                        > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                        > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                        > wrong word.
                        >
                        > Jim K4DLI
                        >
                        > James Streible wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                        > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                        > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                        > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                        > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                        > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                        > > new data.
                        > >
                        > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                        > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                        > > my CPU.
                        > >
                        > > Jim K4DLI
                        > >
                        > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                        > > problem, but
                        > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                        > > > Ionoprobe on
                        > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                        > > requires
                        > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                        > > >
                        > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                        > > > task
                        > > > manager.
                        > > >
                        > > > I use XP SP2,
                        > > >
                        > > > 73
                        > > >
                        > > > Bob W2WG
                        > > >
                        > > > _____
                        > > >
                        > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        13:34