Re: [dxatlas] IonoProbe Stealing Resources

  • Michael Pfeuffer
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
      I had the same thing happen here as well, starting this afternoon. Bad
      data got us into a loop?

      --Mike WQ5C

      At 08:03 PM 12/27/2007, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:
      >Alex/Gang,
      >
      >I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
      >checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
      >percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar icon no
      >longer brings up the program.
      >
      >Reinstalling (over old files) does not cure the problem.
      >I don't think IonoProbe is conflicting with other programmes or drivers, but
      >for the life of me I can not seem to isolate the problem.
      >
      >Ideas anyone?
      >
      >de Eric - VE3GSI

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >--
      >12/27/2007 1:34 PM
    • Robert Carroll
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
        I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
        being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up Ionoprobe on
        a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
        almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.

        Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with task
        manager.

        I use XP SP2,

        73

        Bob W2WG

        _____

        I had the same thing happen here as well, starting this afternoon. Bad
        data got us into a loop?

        --Mike WQ5C

        At 08:03 PM 12/27/2007, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:
        >Alex/Gang,
        >
        >I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
        >checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
        >percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar icon no
        >longer brings up the program.
        >
        >Reinstalling (over old files) does not cure the problem.
        >I don't think IonoProbe is conflicting with other programmes or drivers,
        but
        >for the life of me I can not seem to isolate the problem.
        >
        >Ideas anyone?
        >
        >de Eric - VE3GSI

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
        >12/27/2007 1:34 PM

      • Eric - VE3GSI
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
          Tnx for the confirmation Mike!

          Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
          until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

          73 Eric..

        • Stan Huntting
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@...> wrote:

            > Alex/Gang,
            >
            > I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
            > checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
            > percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar
            icon no
            > longer brings up the program.

            Same here. I have disabled IonoProbe until I see a fix from Alex. This
            bug is a show-stopper! (WinXP/SP2)

            Stan, KW7KW
          • John T. Fleming
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
              I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
              of memory.

              73,

              John

              _____

              Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
              until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

              73 Eric..

            • Michael Pfeuffer
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

                --Mike

                At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
                >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                >of memory.
                >

                >73,
                >
                >John
                >

                > _____

              • Dan Schaaf
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                  Same here with XP Home. Bad Data hangup

                  Best Regards
                  Dan Schaaf
                  ===============================
                  NOBSKA
                  www.nobska.net
                  ===============================
                  Cape Cod Instruments
                  www.oceanbiz.net
                  ===============================
                  FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

                  --Mike

                  At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
                  >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                  >of memory.
                  >

                  >73,
                  >
                  >John
                  >

                  > _____

                • James Streible
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                    I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                    After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                    menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                    Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                    put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                    but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                    new data.

                    I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                    was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                    my CPU.

                    Jim K4DLI

                    Robert Carroll wrote:

                    > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
                    > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                    > Ionoprobe on
                    > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
                    > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                    >
                    > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                    > task
                    > manager.
                    >
                    > I use XP SP2,
                    >
                    > 73
                    >
                    > Bob W2WG
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                  • James Streible
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                      Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                      words.
                      Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                      checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                      wrong word.

                      Jim K4DLI

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                        Same symptoms on my version 1.35 IonoProbe. I also don't have the normal
                        menu items at the top of the window which allow for manual data
                        download. All data windows are just blank and greyed out. I run Win XP
                        Pro with all currently known upgrades.

                        Bruce, K2BET
                        -----------------------

                        James Streible wrote:

                        > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                        > words.
                        > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                        > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                        > wrong word.
                        >
                        > Jim K4DLI
                        >
                        > James Streible wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                        > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                        > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                        > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                        > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                        > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                        > > new data.
                        > >
                        > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                        > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                        > > my CPU.
                        > >
                        > > Jim K4DLI
                        > >
                        > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                        > > problem, but
                        > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                        > > > Ionoprobe on
                        > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                        > > requires
                        > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                        > > >
                        > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                        > > > task
                        > > > manager.
                        > > >
                        > > > I use XP SP2,
                        > > >
                        > > > 73
                        > > >
                        > > > Bob W2WG
                        > > >
                        > > > _____
                        > > >
                        > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                      • George Vincent
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                          WOW, am I a glutton for punishment. Tried to open Ionoprobe 1.35 and
                          experienced the same as everyone else.

                          I was going to delete IONOPROBE, but instead just opened Windows Task
                          Manager and opened the Processes tab and ended Ionoprobe.exe

                          Immediately my system resources increased and my computer started running as
                          a 3.2 MHz machine should. I am certainly glad that this was brought to my
                          attention. I couldn't figure out why my computer became so sluggish.

                          TNX for the heads up on this one. I too await a response from Alex.

                          73,
                          George Vincent K3GV

                          DX: Long may it live !
                          If it isn't LOGic, it isn't LOGging

                          James Streible wrote:

                          > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                          > words.
                          > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                          > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                          > wrong word.
                          >
                          > Jim K4DLI
                          >
                          > James Streible wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                          > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                          > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                          > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                          > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                          > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                          > > new data.
                          > >
                          > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                          > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                          > > my CPU.
                          > >
                          > > Jim K4DLI
                          > >
                          > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                          > > problem, but
                          > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                          > > > Ionoprobe on
                          > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                          > > requires
                          > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                          > > >
                          > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                          > > > task
                          > > > manager.
                          > > >
                          > > > I use XP SP2,
                          > > >
                          > > > 73
                          > > >
                          > > > Bob W2WG
                          > > >
                          > > > _____
                          > > >
                          > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          13:34