IonoProbe Stealing Resources

  • Eric - VE3GSI
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
      Alex/Gang,

      I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
      checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
      percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar icon no
      longer brings up the program.

      Reinstalling (over old files) does not cure the problem.
      I don't think IonoProbe is conflicting with other programmes or drivers, but
      for the life of me I can not seem to isolate the problem.

      Ideas anyone?

      de Eric - VE3GSI

    • Michael Pfeuffer
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
        I had the same thing happen here as well, starting this afternoon. Bad
        data got us into a loop?

        --Mike WQ5C

        At 08:03 PM 12/27/2007, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:
        >Alex/Gang,
        >
        >I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
        >checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
        >percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar icon no
        >longer brings up the program.
        >
        >Reinstalling (over old files) does not cure the problem.
        >I don't think IonoProbe is conflicting with other programmes or drivers, but
        >for the life of me I can not seem to isolate the problem.
        >
        >Ideas anyone?
        >
        >de Eric - VE3GSI

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
        >12/27/2007 1:34 PM
      • Robert Carroll
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
          I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
          being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up Ionoprobe on
          a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
          almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.

          Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with task
          manager.

          I use XP SP2,

          73

          Bob W2WG

          _____

          I had the same thing happen here as well, starting this afternoon. Bad
          data got us into a loop?

          --Mike WQ5C

          At 08:03 PM 12/27/2007, Eric - VE3GSI wrote:
          >Alex/Gang,
          >
          >I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
          >checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
          >percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar icon no
          >longer brings up the program.
          >
          >Reinstalling (over old files) does not cure the problem.
          >I don't think IonoProbe is conflicting with other programmes or drivers,
          but
          >for the life of me I can not seem to isolate the problem.
          >
          >Ideas anyone?
          >
          >de Eric - VE3GSI

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >--
          >12/27/2007 1:34 PM

        • Eric - VE3GSI
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
            Tnx for the confirmation Mike!

            Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
            until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

            73 Eric..

          • Stan Huntting
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@...> wrote:

              > Alex/Gang,
              >
              > I have notice my computer was not as responsive as it once was. When
              > checking with the Windows Task Manager it shows IonoProbe.exe using 99
              > percent of the computer's resources. Double clicking on the taskbar
              icon no
              > longer brings up the program.

              Same here. I have disabled IonoProbe until I see a fix from Alex. This
              bug is a show-stopper! (WinXP/SP2)

              Stan, KW7KW
            • John T. Fleming
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                of memory.

                73,

                John

                _____

                Hopefully a new batch of data will come along soon to get us up and running
                until Alex has had time to scratch his head over this one.

                73 Eric..

              • Michael Pfeuffer
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                  FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

                  --Mike

                  At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
                  >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                  >of memory.
                  >

                  >73,
                  >
                  >John
                  >

                  > _____

                • Dan Schaaf
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                    Same here with XP Home. Bad Data hangup

                    Best Regards
                    Dan Schaaf
                    ===============================
                    NOBSKA
                    www.nobska.net
                    ===============================
                    Cape Cod Instruments
                    www.oceanbiz.net
                    ===============================
                    FWIW, I've seen it on versions 1.33 & 1.35, running XP Pro.

                    --Mike

                    At 08:39 PM 12/27/2007, John T. Fleming wrote:
                    >I am having the same problem running Vista Ultimate on a Core2Duo with 4 Gig
                    >of memory.
                    >

                    >73,
                    >
                    >John
                    >

                    > _____

                  • James Streible
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                      I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                      After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                      menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                      Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                      put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                      but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                      new data.

                      I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                      was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                      my CPU.

                      Jim K4DLI

                      Robert Carroll wrote:

                      > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated problem, but
                      > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                      > Ionoprobe on
                      > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it requires
                      > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                      >
                      > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                      > task
                      > manager.
                      >
                      > I use XP SP2,
                      >
                      > 73
                      >
                      > Bob W2WG
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                    • James Streible
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                        Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                        words.
                        Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                        checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                        wrong word.

                        Jim K4DLI

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                          Same symptoms on my version 1.35 IonoProbe. I also don't have the normal
                          menu items at the top of the window which allow for manual data
                          download. All data windows are just blank and greyed out. I run Win XP
                          Pro with all currently known upgrades.

                          Bruce, K2BET
                          -----------------------

                          James Streible wrote:

                          > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                          > words.
                          > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                          > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                          > wrong word.
                          >
                          > Jim K4DLI
                          >
                          > James Streible wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                          > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                          > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                          > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                          > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                          > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                          > > new data.
                          > >
                          > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                          > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                          > > my CPU.
                          > >
                          > > Jim K4DLI
                          > >
                          > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                          > > problem, but
                          > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                          > > > Ionoprobe on
                          > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                          > > requires
                          > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                          > > >
                          > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                          > > > task
                          > > > manager.
                          > > >
                          > > > I use XP SP2,
                          > > >
                          > > > 73
                          > > >
                          > > > Bob W2WG
                          > > >
                          > > > _____
                          > > >
                          > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                        • George Vincent
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 27, 2007
                            WOW, am I a glutton for punishment. Tried to open Ionoprobe 1.35 and
                            experienced the same as everyone else.

                            I was going to delete IONOPROBE, but instead just opened Windows Task
                            Manager and opened the Processes tab and ended Ionoprobe.exe

                            Immediately my system resources increased and my computer started running as
                            a 3.2 MHz machine should. I am certainly glad that this was brought to my
                            attention. I couldn't figure out why my computer became so sluggish.

                            TNX for the heads up on this one. I too await a response from Alex.

                            73,
                            George Vincent K3GV

                            DX: Long may it live !
                            If it isn't LOGic, it isn't LOGging

                            James Streible wrote:

                            > Well, I hope everyone could read this message. Sorry for the misspelled
                            > words.
                            > Happens when I get in a hurry and type the wrong word and the spell
                            > checker just knows the word is spelled correct but not that it is the
                            > wrong word.
                            >
                            > Jim K4DLI
                            >
                            > James Streible wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I was wondering why my computer was running slow.
                            > > After reading these e-mails i tried to fire up IonProbe from the start
                            > > menu in task bad and it would not start. I also could nor delete the
                            > > Icon for IonProbe either. Starten it from the icon on the Desktop and it
                            > > put a second icon in the task bar and I could get the program to run
                            > > but, there is no recent data for about a day and I can't download any
                            > > new data.
                            > >
                            > > I can delete the second Icon in the task bar but, not the original that
                            > > was loaded this morning at start up. IonProbe is also taking over 50% of
                            > > my CPU.
                            > >
                            > > Jim K4DLI
                            > >
                            > > Robert Carroll wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I originally assumed the first report of this was an isolated
                            > > problem, but
                            > > > being intrigued by the second report of this, I just cranked up
                            > > > Ionoprobe on
                            > > > a decent machine and saw it was taking 50% of the CPU. Usually it
                            > > requires
                            > > > almost nothing. I can't imagine what could cause this.
                            > > >
                            > > > Also, I tried to close the program and couldn't. I had to kill it with
                            > > > task
                            > > > manager.
                            > > >
                            > > > I use XP SP2,
                            > > >
                            > > > 73
                            > > >
                            > > > Bob W2WG
                            > > >
                            > > > _____
                            > > >
                            > > > From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
                            > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > > > <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > > > [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            13:34