Re: [dxatlas] Faros, soundcard trouble.

  • AA0OI
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2007
      Hi Dave:
      This has little to do with Faros, but we do alot of digital modes ( mostly digital sstv, but almost all the others as well) AC97 is the worst sound card ( mostly built onto mother boards) ever... many programs will not even run under AC97.. A suggestion would be to replace ( just put in a cheap sound blaster $15.00 usd) and turn off AC97 Sound.. But that just my opinion.. The quality of the signal will be better and cleaner in and out!!

      Garrett / AA0OI

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2007
        Hi Garrett...

        OK on the AC97 troubles, but it Faros OK on other PC's also with the
        AC97 sound system, but yes, they seem to be noisy, but that pales
        into insignificance compared to the background noise on HF, even with
        narrow (cw) filters. Alex off list said much about the timing needs
        of Faros, and that some systems will not do that accuately enough,
        end of story, sadly...

        For now, I've dug out an old Dell Optiplex mini desktop and will
        dedicate that to Faros as time goes by, but there is still lots of
        work to do to get that system ready for what I want, but that will
        need to be setup for use with VNC etc, as I don't have a spare
        keyboard or display, yet..... Pitty, as the shack is not a large
        room, and it's quite "tight" in here already.

        I can't easily install another soundcard in the Tosh (laptop) unless
        it's an expensive PCMCIA card (cost more than the PC is worth, not
        cheap over hear in the UK) USB could be an option, but again from
        what is said (but I've not yet checked) there are issues with them
        too.

        I think there is a lot if variation in the various vendors
        implementation of the AC97 drivers, some seem very much better/worse
        than others, considering that the hardware is much the same, and yes,
        it's in one of the VLSI chips on the laptop's main board.

        Cheers for now...

        Seasons greetings etc.

        Dave G0WBX.