Faros, soundcard trouble.

  • g8kbv
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2007
      Hi All.

      OK, so who (if anyone?) has had any problems with Faros and it
      thinking a soundcard is still in use by another program/application,
      when it isn't? (As far as I can find out anyway.)

      I have this trouble when running it on a Tosh' Sat' Pro 4600.

      The basic spec's for the PC are...
      CPU: PIII/700
      RAM: 384Meg
      Sound: Yamaha AC-XG WDM Audio System,
      based on Intel 82801BA(M) ICH2 - AC'97 Audio controller.

      OS: Win2000 Pro, all up-to-date.

      It runs Digipan and other soundcard DSP stuff etc very well, and is a
      nice machine for rig/shack use, due to the availability of "Real"
      serial/parallel ports etc, as well as newer USB holes and network
      etc...

      On another Win2k PC (with a different sound system) Faros runs it
      just fine.

      Cheers All..

      Happy Crimbo and all that.

      Dave G0WBX.
    • AA0OI
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2007
        Hi Dave:
        This has little to do with Faros, but we do alot of digital modes ( mostly digital sstv, but almost all the others as well) AC97 is the worst sound card ( mostly built onto mother boards) ever... many programs will not even run under AC97.. A suggestion would be to replace ( just put in a cheap sound blaster $15.00 usd) and turn off AC97 Sound.. But that just my opinion.. The quality of the signal will be better and cleaner in and out!!

        Garrett / AA0OI

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2007
          Hi Garrett...

          OK on the AC97 troubles, but it Faros OK on other PC's also with the
          AC97 sound system, but yes, they seem to be noisy, but that pales
          into insignificance compared to the background noise on HF, even with
          narrow (cw) filters. Alex off list said much about the timing needs
          of Faros, and that some systems will not do that accuately enough,
          end of story, sadly...

          For now, I've dug out an old Dell Optiplex mini desktop and will
          dedicate that to Faros as time goes by, but there is still lots of
          work to do to get that system ready for what I want, but that will
          need to be setup for use with VNC etc, as I don't have a spare
          keyboard or display, yet..... Pitty, as the shack is not a large
          room, and it's quite "tight" in here already.

          I can't easily install another soundcard in the Tosh (laptop) unless
          it's an expensive PCMCIA card (cost more than the PC is worth, not
          cheap over hear in the UK) USB could be an option, but again from
          what is said (but I've not yet checked) there are issues with them
          too.

          I think there is a lot if variation in the various vendors
          implementation of the AC97 drivers, some seem very much better/worse
          than others, considering that the hardware is much the same, and yes,
          it's in one of the VLSI chips on the laptop's main board.

          Cheers for now...

          Seasons greetings etc.

          Dave G0WBX.