Re: [dxatlas] Some new user questions

  • Geoff Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
      Mark,

      You have some good questions here but all ( as far as I can see) are all to
      do with programs other than Logger32

      > * What do the different propagation types indicate? f2f2, 3f1, etc.

      I think you are referring here to HamCap. I'm not 100% sure but I believe
      it indicates how the signal "bounces" to the destination and off which
      layers.

      > * How can I import an ADIF log file, or integrate with a logging
      > program, so Band Master shows the spots I really need?

      What is Band Master? Personally I have never heard of it. Why use it at all
      as Logger32 has a reasonably sophisticated spot filtering system - even with
      highlighted coloured backgrounds that tell you what you are missing from
      your log. What more do you need? Have you tried clicking on the main icon
      15 from the left (two to the right of the Morse key)

      > * Should I use the same antennas (mine) for TX and RX under HAMCAP?
      > Or should I assume that RX is the other ham with a better antenna?

      Once again a non Logger32 question. The antenna set up is for YOU ( both tx
      and rx) . How can HamCap possibly know what the other person is using?

      73 de Geoff
      G3NPA
      Geoff.Anderson@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
        Hi Mark,

        HamCap is a front end to the VOACAP propagation prediction engine, all data
        that it displays actually come from that engine. The path type codes in
        VOACAP are a bit cryptic but fully documented. In particular, F2F2 means a
        multi-hop path with reflections from the F2 layer.

        The only logger known to integrate correctly with Band Master is AALog by
        RZ4AG. When the two programs work together, the status of the spots in BM is
        color-coded using information from the logger (new country, dupe, etc.). A
        click on the spot not only tunes the radio at the spot frequency but also
        populates the Callsign field in the logger, when you tune away from the
        spot, the Callsign field is cleared, etc. The best thing about this combo is
        that both programs have access to the CAT interface of the radio at the same
        time.

        Of course, in HamCap you have to specify the TX antenna at one end of the
        path and the RX antenna at the other end - unless you are trying to work
        yourself ;-)

        73 Alex VE3NEA

        --------------------------
        What an awesome set of tools! I love it!

        Some newbie questions:

        * What do the different propagation types indicate? f2f2, 3f1, etc.
        * How can I import an ADIF log file, or integrate with a logging
        program, so Band Master shows the spots I really need?
        * Should I use the same antennas (mine) for TX and RX under HAMCAP?
        Or should I assume that RX is the other ham with a better antenna?
      • RAYMOND BOLT
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
          Hi Alex
          Different question, my INOPROBE Ver 1.34 is working fine expect for the past few weeks the Auroral Activity has not been showing. Is there a problem with this side of the Server.

          73

          Raymond. MI0RUC
          mi0ruc@...
          "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Eric - VE3GSI
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
            Hi Raymond,

            I don't think Alex will mind if I jump in.
            Upgrade to the latest version, 1.35 addresses that issue.

            Eric - VE3GSI

          • RAYMOND BOLT
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
              Thanks Eric