DXAtlas/Hamcap - Vista

  • Larry Otto
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
      Hello all:

      I have been running DXAtlas/Hamcap for a number of years, with an OS
      Windows XP. Never had a problem.

      Now I have a new machine running Vista.

      I reloaded DXAtlas but when I shut it down I get the message
      "Unable to write to C:ProgramFiles\Afreet\DXAtlas\DXAtlas.ini"

      I also get this message when closing down Hamcap, but the message
      refers to "Hamcap.ini"

      When I try to open DXAtlas with Hamcap, I get either initialization
      error, or it tells me I need a higher version of DXAtlas, but I have
      the latest. Also, I have registered this copy.

      Anybody know what is going on?

      Looked on the website but could not find any info.

      Tnx

      Larry W8LO
    • Geoff Anderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
        Larry,

        The mistake you have made is to run Vista! ;-) Microshaft have totally
        re-invented the wheel and then put double padlocks on it.

        Try removing ALL the protective gizmos like UAC - OR - re-install dxatlas
        in a directory other than program files...or on another drive.

        73 de Geoff
        G3NPA
        Geoff.Anderson@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
          Hi Larry,

          For some reason, Vista does not allow the program to write to the
          DxAtlas.ini file - perhaps you do not have sufficient privileges for that,
          or the file has a read-only attribute - e.g., it was copied from a CD. The
          solution is to ensure that DxAtlas is allowed to write to its own ini file.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2007
            Alex,

            Windows Vista does not allow a program to write to Program Files directory.
            If you look at the directory you will see Program Files and Program Data.
            The data directory is what is used now. It is part of Vista Security. If
            you force a program to write to a Program File directory, it will look like
            it does, but actually behind the scene, it writes to User directory, the
            logged on user, \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\program name.
            Have people tried running your program using the compatibility mode
            selecting XP? I am running IonoProbe and I have a folder
            Afreet\InonProbe\Data and also Text in the VirtualStore folders.
            MorseRunner is also there. These programs run fine for me. I hope this may
            help to shed some light on the problems people are having. My IonoProbe.ini
            file is in the IonoProbe VirtualStore area. Google VirtualStore and you
            will learn more.

            Good Luck and 73,

            John

            _____