Re: [dxatlas] Faros 1.1; minor issue

  • Cormac & Suzanne Gebruers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
      Alex,

      Thanks for the prompt reply. Its probably my anti-virus program. I've
      only opened the log once to get the information included in my last
      mail. I've just added Faros as a trusted process to my AV program-
      maybe that'll do the trick... I'll let you know either way...

      Rgds
      Cormac

      Alex, VE3NEA wrote:

      > Hi Cormac,
      >
      > It looks like another application opens the log file occasionally. Are
      > you
      > by chance running an anti-virus program in the background? If you open
      > the
      > log in a text editor when Faros is running, this also might cause a
      > problem.

      > Hi,
      >
      > I recently downloaded Faros 1.1 and find it excellent. I'll be
      > purchasing, as, like all Alex's previous s/w, its definitely a keeper.
      >
      > I'm having one very minor issue: Occasionally I get a Windows error
      > dialog box stating that Faros could not open error.log in the Faros
      > program directory. Data is being written to the file is always the same
      > error e.g.:
      >
      > 2007-02-17 10:53:04 Sound duration error: 7.53 ms
      > 2007-02-17 10:53:14 Sound card OK
      >
      > If I acknowledge the error, Faros continues to operate happily, but
      > unfortunately it very occasionally crashes the program if it happens
      > repeatedly and I'm not around to acknowledge the error message (i.e. the
      > error dialog boxes begin to stack up).
      >
      > Running a virtually cleanWindows XP SP2 (installed a week ago) with all
      > available updates onboard - PC is an Intel P-III 1.7GHz with 256mB RAM
      >
      > Rgds
      > Cormac, EI4HQ

    • Cormac & Suzanne Gebruers
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
        Alex,

        OK adding Faros to the trusted process list with Kaspersky AV seems to
        have done the trick re access problems to the error log.

        One final question; is the unregistered version time limited - i.e. does
        it shut down after a certain time period? Faros is shutting down here
        all on its own after a couple of hours (from the log, after about 90
        minutes or so). No error messages appear. I'm mildly concerned as the
        Help/web doesn't mention any such limitation...

        Rgds
        Cormac

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
          Hi Cormac,

          The trial version of Faros is not supposed to shut down on its own, the only
          time limit it has is 30 days. Also, if something goes wrong in the Faros
          code, the program shows the error box and then tries to continue operation.
          A silent shut down can be caused only by the system code, such as audio or
          network driver, so mu suggestion is to find and install the latest drivers.

          73 Alex VE3NEA