Re: [dxatlas] Faros 1.1; minor issue

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
      Hi Cormac,

      It looks like another application opens the log file occasionally. Are you
      by chance running an anti-virus program in the background? If you open the
      log in a text editor when Faros is running, this also might cause a problem.

      Hi,

      I recently downloaded Faros 1.1 and find it excellent. I'll be
      purchasing, as, like all Alex's previous s/w, its definitely a keeper.

      I'm having one very minor issue: Occasionally I get a Windows error
      dialog box stating that Faros could not open error.log in the Faros
      program directory. Data is being written to the file is always the same
      error e.g.:

      2007-02-17 10:53:04 Sound duration error: 7.53 ms
      2007-02-17 10:53:14 Sound card OK

      If I acknowledge the error, Faros continues to operate happily, but
      unfortunately it very occasionally crashes the program if it happens
      repeatedly and I'm not around to acknowledge the error message (i.e. the
      error dialog boxes begin to stack up).

      Running a virtually cleanWindows XP SP2 (installed a week ago) with all
      available updates onboard - PC is an Intel P-III 1.7GHz with 256mB RAM

      Rgds
      Cormac, EI4HQ
    • Cormac & Suzanne Gebruers
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
        Alex,

        Thanks for the prompt reply. Its probably my anti-virus program. I've
        only opened the log once to get the information included in my last
        mail. I've just added Faros as a trusted process to my AV program-
        maybe that'll do the trick... I'll let you know either way...

        Rgds
        Cormac

        Alex, VE3NEA wrote:

        > Hi Cormac,
        >
        > It looks like another application opens the log file occasionally. Are
        > you
        > by chance running an anti-virus program in the background? If you open
        > the
        > log in a text editor when Faros is running, this also might cause a
        > problem.

        > Hi,
        >
        > I recently downloaded Faros 1.1 and find it excellent. I'll be
        > purchasing, as, like all Alex's previous s/w, its definitely a keeper.
        >
        > I'm having one very minor issue: Occasionally I get a Windows error
        > dialog box stating that Faros could not open error.log in the Faros
        > program directory. Data is being written to the file is always the same
        > error e.g.:
        >
        > 2007-02-17 10:53:04 Sound duration error: 7.53 ms
        > 2007-02-17 10:53:14 Sound card OK
        >
        > If I acknowledge the error, Faros continues to operate happily, but
        > unfortunately it very occasionally crashes the program if it happens
        > repeatedly and I'm not around to acknowledge the error message (i.e. the
        > error dialog boxes begin to stack up).
        >
        > Running a virtually cleanWindows XP SP2 (installed a week ago) with all
        > available updates onboard - PC is an Intel P-III 1.7GHz with 256mB RAM
        >
        > Rgds
        > Cormac, EI4HQ

      • Cormac & Suzanne Gebruers
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
          Alex,

          OK adding Faros to the trusted process list with Kaspersky AV seems to
          have done the trick re access problems to the error log.

          One final question; is the unregistered version time limited - i.e. does
          it shut down after a certain time period? Faros is shutting down here
          all on its own after a couple of hours (from the log, after about 90
          minutes or so). No error messages appear. I'm mildly concerned as the
          Help/web doesn't mention any such limitation...

          Rgds
          Cormac

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
            Hi Cormac,

            The trial version of Faros is not supposed to shut down on its own, the only
            time limit it has is 30 days. Also, if something goes wrong in the Faros
            code, the program shows the error box and then tries to continue operation.
            A silent shut down can be caused only by the system code, such as audio or
            network driver, so mu suggestion is to find and install the latest drivers.

            73 Alex VE3NEA