RE: [dxatlas] Logging software

  • Gary Hinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2006
      Hi Cecil.

      Good timing: I am about to re-start a comparative evaluation of logging
      programs over the Christmas break.

      The evaluation project started from a casual comment on the CDXC Forum and,
      so far, we have figured out a reasonably systematic and rigorous evaluation
      process and prepared a list of logging software to evaluate. Our aim is to
      be as objective as possible.

      The process revolves around an Excel spreadsheet containing all the criteria
      we could think of and a weighting/scoring process that will hopefully give
      us the answers we seek. Best of all, it allows for group participation in
      the evaluation (taking advantage of the knowledge of those who actually use
      the logging programs day-to-day), and yet individuals can take their own
      copies of the spreadsheet to mess around with the criteria, scores and
      weightings if they have particular requirements not already covered in the
      generic one or if they disagree with the scores given by other hams.

      Given my own interests and those of other CDXC [Chiltern DX Club] members,
      this evaluation will be biased towards general purpose HF logging programs -
      not contest or VHF logs specifically although we might tackle those too,
      later.

      The blank spreadsheet is already available on my website www.g4ifb.com but
      the real work starts over Xmas when we start the evaluation proper and I'll
      be updating the spreadsheet frequently as the scores and comments come in.

      73,
      Gary (now ZL2iFB)