Re: [dxatlas] Re: Ham Cap Question

  • Cecil Acuff
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
      I use IonProbe and DXAtlas. The settings page in Ham Cap has a button to
      select the use of both of those, which I depress. The confusion is that the
      Kp box in Ham Cap turns green, I am assuming when it is using the data
      picked up from IonProbe but the SSN box never changes color to indicate the
      same. It does however show 12 upon startup which I assumed was a default
      starting point...maybe not. I don't see anywhere in IonProbe where a SSN of
      12 is displayed but I do see 12.1 indicated for the month of DEC 2006 in the
      spread sheet that comes up when clicking on the sun icon next to the SSN
      display box in Ham Cap.

      Bottom line it's not been clear to me where the SSN number is actually
      coming from and how often it is updated to attempt to be somewhat near
      real-time in it's predictions...

      Maybe Alex can clear it up.....

      I will admit that as far as the peak time to work the VU7 from my location
      it has been quite accurate. I still have not worked them but have not had
      time to spend in the chase due to wrapping up work related duties. I'll be
      able to spend more time in the next week or so but with a 100W and a wire it
      will be a challenge. (not impossible)

      Have only heard them briefly during the peak on 20m.

      Hope for better conditions between now and 1/1 when the flares will probably
      start again....

      Cecil
      K5DL
      Gulfport MS

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
        Cecil,

        That is strange. When I click on the IonoProbe box both the SSN and the
        Kp windows change to green and the numbers change to the current SSN and Kp.

        Maybe a reinstall of the program would get things right.

        Jim K4DLI

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
          Hi Cecil,

          Click on the Download / Old Data command in the IonoProbe menu to ensure
          that the program has enough daily SSN data and can compute the smoothed SSN
          required for HamCap.

          Alex

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2006
            Hi Alex,

            Did the download old data and it locked right in. Didn't think to try
            that...thanks. The SSN block turned green and showed a SSN of 25...sounds a
            little high compared to what others report but it must have picked that up
            from IonProbe so I'll go with that!

            Managed to work the VU7 this morning at 13:58 on 20M right about the time
            HamCap said would be the window. 100 watts and a Carolina Windom at 45
            feet. Radio is still amazing!

            Loudest I have heard them here....about S-2 with a quiet band!

            Thanks again & Merry Christmas...

            Cecil
            K5DL