Re: [dxatlas] Re: Ham Cap Question

  • James Streible
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
      If you are running either IonoProbe or DXAtlas you will have a choice of
      picking either one on thew "Settings" tab of Ham Cap. I use IonoProbe
      and the correct SSN and Kp are then displayed on the Params tab and the
      program works correctly. You can also then change either of the numbers
      to any value you want if you want to see the effect of either changing
      or just want to use data from another source.

      So far it seems to be pretty accurate here.

      Jim K4DLI

      oh6bg wrote:
      >> Well that leads to the question as to what to put in the field
      >>
      > because it is not picked up automatically....at least not on my copy.
      > I have to enter the SSN to be used in the calculation. It does pick
      > up the Kp index.
      >
      > On my copy (Ham CAP 1.5) it shows the correct SSN number (12 for
      > December). Otherwise, you can find the SSNs here:
      > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict
      >
      > 73 Jari OH6BG
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Cecil Acuff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
        I use IonProbe and DXAtlas. The settings page in Ham Cap has a button to
        select the use of both of those, which I depress. The confusion is that the
        Kp box in Ham Cap turns green, I am assuming when it is using the data
        picked up from IonProbe but the SSN box never changes color to indicate the
        same. It does however show 12 upon startup which I assumed was a default
        starting point...maybe not. I don't see anywhere in IonProbe where a SSN of
        12 is displayed but I do see 12.1 indicated for the month of DEC 2006 in the
        spread sheet that comes up when clicking on the sun icon next to the SSN
        display box in Ham Cap.

        Bottom line it's not been clear to me where the SSN number is actually
        coming from and how often it is updated to attempt to be somewhat near
        real-time in it's predictions...

        Maybe Alex can clear it up.....

        I will admit that as far as the peak time to work the VU7 from my location
        it has been quite accurate. I still have not worked them but have not had
        time to spend in the chase due to wrapping up work related duties. I'll be
        able to spend more time in the next week or so but with a 100W and a wire it
        will be a challenge. (not impossible)

        Have only heard them briefly during the peak on 20m.

        Hope for better conditions between now and 1/1 when the flares will probably
        start again....

        Cecil
        K5DL
        Gulfport MS

        > If you are running either IonoProbe or DXAtlas you will have a choice of
        > picking either one on thew "Settings" tab of Ham Cap. I use IonoProbe
        > and the correct SSN and Kp are then displayed on the Params tab and the
        > program works correctly. You can also then change either of the numbers
        > to any value you want if you want to see the effect of either changing
        > or just want to use data from another source.
        >
        > So far it seems to be pretty accurate here.
        >
        > Jim K4DLI
        >

        > oh6bg wrote:
        >>> Well that leads to the question as to what to put in the field
        >>>
        >> because it is not picked up automatically....at least not on my copy.
        >> I have to enter the SSN to be used in the calculation. It does pick
        >> up the Kp index.
        >>
        >> On my copy (Ham CAP 1.5) it shows the correct SSN number (12 for
        >> December). Otherwise, you can find the SSNs here:
        >> ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict
        >>
        >> 73 Jari OH6BG
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Streible
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
          Cecil,

          That is strange. When I click on the IonoProbe box both the SSN and the
          Kp windows change to green and the numbers change to the current SSN and Kp.

          Maybe a reinstall of the program would get things right.

          Jim K4DLI

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
            Hi Cecil,

            Click on the Download / Old Data command in the IonoProbe menu to ensure
            that the program has enough daily SSN data and can compute the smoothed SSN
            required for HamCap.

            Alex

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2006
              Hi Alex,

              Did the download old data and it locked right in. Didn't think to try
              that...thanks. The SSN block turned green and showed a SSN of 25...sounds a
              little high compared to what others report but it must have picked that up
              from IonProbe so I'll go with that!

              Managed to work the VU7 this morning at 13:58 on 20M right about the time
              HamCap said would be the window. 100 watts and a Carolina Windom at 45
              feet. Radio is still amazing!

              Loudest I have heard them here....about S-2 with a quiet band!

              Thanks again & Merry Christmas...

              Cecil
              K5DL