[dxatlas] Re: Ham Cap Question

  • oh6bg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2006
      > Well that leads to the question as to what to put in the field
      because it is not picked up automatically....at least not on my copy.
      I have to enter the SSN to be used in the calculation. It does pick
      up the Kp index.

      On my copy (Ham CAP 1.5) it shows the correct SSN number (12 for
      December). Otherwise, you can find the SSNs here:
      ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict

      73 Jari OH6BG
    • James Streible
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
        If you are running either IonoProbe or DXAtlas you will have a choice of
        picking either one on thew "Settings" tab of Ham Cap. I use IonoProbe
        and the correct SSN and Kp are then displayed on the Params tab and the
        program works correctly. You can also then change either of the numbers
        to any value you want if you want to see the effect of either changing
        or just want to use data from another source.

        So far it seems to be pretty accurate here.

        Jim K4DLI

        oh6bg wrote:
        >> Well that leads to the question as to what to put in the field
        >>
        > because it is not picked up automatically....at least not on my copy.
        > I have to enter the SSN to be used in the calculation. It does pick
        > up the Kp index.
        >
        > On my copy (Ham CAP 1.5) it shows the correct SSN number (12 for
        > December). Otherwise, you can find the SSNs here:
        > ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict
        >
        > 73 Jari OH6BG
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cecil Acuff
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
          I use IonProbe and DXAtlas. The settings page in Ham Cap has a button to
          select the use of both of those, which I depress. The confusion is that the
          Kp box in Ham Cap turns green, I am assuming when it is using the data
          picked up from IonProbe but the SSN box never changes color to indicate the
          same. It does however show 12 upon startup which I assumed was a default
          starting point...maybe not. I don't see anywhere in IonProbe where a SSN of
          12 is displayed but I do see 12.1 indicated for the month of DEC 2006 in the
          spread sheet that comes up when clicking on the sun icon next to the SSN
          display box in Ham Cap.

          Bottom line it's not been clear to me where the SSN number is actually
          coming from and how often it is updated to attempt to be somewhat near
          real-time in it's predictions...

          Maybe Alex can clear it up.....

          I will admit that as far as the peak time to work the VU7 from my location
          it has been quite accurate. I still have not worked them but have not had
          time to spend in the chase due to wrapping up work related duties. I'll be
          able to spend more time in the next week or so but with a 100W and a wire it
          will be a challenge. (not impossible)

          Have only heard them briefly during the peak on 20m.

          Hope for better conditions between now and 1/1 when the flares will probably
          start again....

          Cecil
          K5DL
          Gulfport MS

          > If you are running either IonoProbe or DXAtlas you will have a choice of
          > picking either one on thew "Settings" tab of Ham Cap. I use IonoProbe
          > and the correct SSN and Kp are then displayed on the Params tab and the
          > program works correctly. You can also then change either of the numbers
          > to any value you want if you want to see the effect of either changing
          > or just want to use data from another source.
          >
          > So far it seems to be pretty accurate here.
          >
          > Jim K4DLI
          >

          > oh6bg wrote:
          >>> Well that leads to the question as to what to put in the field
          >>>
          >> because it is not picked up automatically....at least not on my copy.
          >> I have to enter the SSN to be used in the calculation. It does pick
          >> up the Kp index.
          >>
          >> On my copy (Ham CAP 1.5) it shows the correct SSN number (12 for
          >> December). Otherwise, you can find the SSNs here:
          >> ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/sunspot.predict
          >>
          >> 73 Jari OH6BG
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James Streible
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
            Cecil,

            That is strange. When I click on the IonoProbe box both the SSN and the
            Kp windows change to green and the numbers change to the current SSN and Kp.

            Maybe a reinstall of the program would get things right.

            Jim K4DLI

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 20, 2006
              Hi Cecil,

              Click on the Download / Old Data command in the IonoProbe menu to ensure
              that the program has enough daily SSN data and can compute the smoothed SSN
              required for HamCap.

              Alex

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2006
                Hi Alex,

                Did the download old data and it locked right in. Didn't think to try
                that...thanks. The SSN block turned green and showed a SSN of 25...sounds a
                little high compared to what others report but it must have picked that up
                from IonProbe so I'll go with that!

                Managed to work the VU7 this morning at 13:58 on 20M right about the time
                HamCap said would be the window. 100 watts and a Carolina Windom at 45
                feet. Radio is still amazing!

                Loudest I have heard them here....about S-2 with a quiet band!

                Thanks again & Merry Christmas...

                Cecil
                K5DL