Ham Cap Question

  • Eric - VE3GSI
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2006
      Alex and others,

      As everyone knows, with Ham Cap the numbers from IonoProbe get plugged in
      automatically. With the solar storm this past week it seemed to me that
      propagation shown with Ham Cap did not reflect all the predictions during
      the storm.

      So my question is this. Would Ham Cap better reflect propagation if it used
      the 'Effective SSN' instead of the current SSN?

      I only ask because I am not an expert in this area, I do find the Ham Cap
      tool to be a valuable tool with my station when used with IonoProbe.

      Thanks Alex for this interface,

      Eric.

    • oh6bg
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2006
        > So my question is this. Would Ham Cap better reflect propagation if
        it used the 'Effective SSN' instead of the current SSN?

        Well, no & no. Ham Cap uses VOACAP as its calculation engine. VOACAP
        is intended for making _statistical_ HF propagation predictions on the
        monthly level. To be orthodox in this issue, this means that you
        cannot use either the current SSN or Effective SSN. Why? Because
        VOACAP has not been designed with these Sunspot Numbers in mind. For
        further discussion, see http://www.voacap.com/choosingssn.html

        73 Jari OH6BG