Re: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi Eric,

      MUF3000 available via the ionospheric menu in DX Atlas is not the same as
      MUF. MUF is a characteristic of a path, it is caclulated in HamCap using the
      Home Location as a path start. MUF3000 is a characteristic of a single point
      under the mouse cursor, it is the MUF of a hypothetical 3000-km path that
      has the point in question as its midpoint.

      Please note that, as far as dxing/contesting is concerned, the SNR is the
      only parameter that matters. All other values predicted or modeled by DX
      Atlas and HamCap are useful only for understanding the propagation
      mechanisms.

      73 Alex VE3NEA

      -----------
      Hi Alex,
      I seem to have a MUF selection with the Ionospheric and Geomagnetic Icon. Am
      I missing something in George's question?
      Or am I miss interrupting the use of the program?
      Eric.
    • George Vincent
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        Alex, when I use the globe or azmuthal view and my cursor is not in the
        actual map the display bar shows MUF. What is this MUF in reference to? It
        keeps changing until I once again locate the cursor over the map and then it
        goes back to SNR.

        What I would really like to know is the MUF for a given spot on the map. I
        do understand how to get this from HamCap, but it would be nice if this was
        available in DX Atlas when all the programs (DX Atlas, HamCap, and
        Ionoscope) are integrated.

        73, George K3GV