RE: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

  • Eric - VE3GSI
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
      Oops!
      It seems my Ham Cap was disconnected when I checked.......
      Sorry Guys.

      From: Alex, VE3NEA

      Hi George,

      The MUF is available only in HamCap.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi Eric,

        MUF3000 available via the ionospheric menu in DX Atlas is not the same as
        MUF. MUF is a characteristic of a path, it is caclulated in HamCap using the
        Home Location as a path start. MUF3000 is a characteristic of a single point
        under the mouse cursor, it is the MUF of a hypothetical 3000-km path that
        has the point in question as its midpoint.

        Please note that, as far as dxing/contesting is concerned, the SNR is the
        only parameter that matters. All other values predicted or modeled by DX
        Atlas and HamCap are useful only for understanding the propagation
        mechanisms.

        73 Alex VE3NEA

        -----------
        Hi Alex,
        I seem to have a MUF selection with the Ionospheric and Geomagnetic Icon. Am
        I missing something in George's question?
        Or am I miss interrupting the use of the program?
        Eric.
      • George Vincent
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
          Alex, when I use the globe or azmuthal view and my cursor is not in the
          actual map the display bar shows MUF. What is this MUF in reference to? It
          keeps changing until I once again locate the cursor over the map and then it
          goes back to SNR.

          What I would really like to know is the MUF for a given spot on the map. I
          do understand how to get this from HamCap, but it would be nice if this was
          available in DX Atlas when all the programs (DX Atlas, HamCap, and
          Ionoscope) are integrated.

          73, George K3GV