Re: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi George,

      The MUF is available only in HamCap.

      From: George
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 03:53 PM
      Subject: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

      When my cursor scrolls over the map in DX Atlas only the SNR is
      displayed on the display bar. How do I get it to display the MUF?

      73, George k3GV

    • Eric - VE3GSI
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hi Alex,
        I seem to have a MUF selection with the Ionospheric and Geomagnetic Icon. Am
        I missing something in George's question?
        Or am I miss interrupting the use of the program?
        Eric.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
          Oops!
          It seems my Ham Cap was disconnected when I checked.......
          Sorry Guys.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
            Hi Eric,

            MUF3000 available via the ionospheric menu in DX Atlas is not the same as
            MUF. MUF is a characteristic of a path, it is caclulated in HamCap using the
            Home Location as a path start. MUF3000 is a characteristic of a single point
            under the mouse cursor, it is the MUF of a hypothetical 3000-km path that
            has the point in question as its midpoint.

            Please note that, as far as dxing/contesting is concerned, the SNR is the
            only parameter that matters. All other values predicted or modeled by DX
            Atlas and HamCap are useful only for understanding the propagation
            mechanisms.

            73 Alex VE3NEA

            -----------
            Hi Alex,
            I seem to have a MUF selection with the Ionospheric and Geomagnetic Icon. Am
            I missing something in George's question?
            Or am I miss interrupting the use of the program?
            Eric.
          • George Vincent
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
              Alex, when I use the globe or azmuthal view and my cursor is not in the
              actual map the display bar shows MUF. What is this MUF in reference to? It
              keeps changing until I once again locate the cursor over the map and then it
              goes back to SNR.

              What I would really like to know is the MUF for a given spot on the map. I
              do understand how to get this from HamCap, but it would be nice if this was
              available in DX Atlas when all the programs (DX Atlas, HamCap, and
              Ionoscope) are integrated.

              73, George K3GV