Re: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi George,

      The MUF is available only in HamCap.

      From: George
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 03:53 PM
      Subject: [dxatlas] DX Atlas only Displays SNR

      When my cursor scrolls over the map in DX Atlas only the SNR is
      displayed on the display bar. How do I get it to display the MUF?

      73, George k3GV

    • Eric - VE3GSI
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hello George,

        On the 'Bar' immediately above the map you should have a bunch of icons for
        Labels, Grids all the way over to the slider that changes the map size. On
        the 5th icon there is a drop down arrow, you can make your selections there.

        GL Eric.

          From: Alex, VE3NEA

          Hi George,

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
            Oops!
            It seems my Ham Cap was disconnected when I checked.......
            Sorry Guys.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hi Eric,

              MUF3000 available via the ionospheric menu in DX Atlas is not the same as
              MUF. MUF is a characteristic of a path, it is caclulated in HamCap using the
              Home Location as a path start. MUF3000 is a characteristic of a single point
              under the mouse cursor, it is the MUF of a hypothetical 3000-km path that
              has the point in question as its midpoint.

              Please note that, as far as dxing/contesting is concerned, the SNR is the
              only parameter that matters. All other values predicted or modeled by DX
              Atlas and HamCap are useful only for understanding the propagation
              mechanisms.

              73 Alex VE3NEA

              -----------
              Hi Alex,
              I seem to have a MUF selection with the Ionospheric and Geomagnetic Icon. Am
              I missing something in George's question?
              Or am I miss interrupting the use of the program?
              Eric.
            • George Vincent
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
                Alex, when I use the globe or azmuthal view and my cursor is not in the
                actual map the display bar shows MUF. What is this MUF in reference to? It
                keeps changing until I once again locate the cursor over the map and then it
                goes back to SNR.

                What I would really like to know is the MUF for a given spot on the map. I
                do understand how to get this from HamCap, but it would be nice if this was
                available in DX Atlas when all the programs (DX Atlas, HamCap, and
                Ionoscope) are integrated.

                73, George K3GV