Ionoprobe spike in SSN?

  • martinbradford2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      It's a minor point, but it's been puzzling me - is anyone else seeing
      Ionoprobe reporting a big spike in SSN every few days lasting a couple
      of hours? shows it jumping from the current near-zero to more than 200!
      I checked with another solar stats program and that did not show
      anything around that time.

      Martin (G8FXC)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        Yes - if you put Ionoprobe in Week mode you can see two in the last week - January 31 and Feb 5, both at the same time of day (late) and both lasting about the same time. Other parameters do not show it, so it must be some sort of anomaly in the SSN data source or the handling of it.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hi Pete,

          You are absolutely correct. One of the recently added ionosonde stations
          puts the value of 9999.99 in the SSN column of its report once in a while,
          and this screws up the calculations of Effective SSN. I have written the
          code that detects and removes such errors, it will be included in the next
          update of IonoProbe.

          73 Alex VE3NEA

          > Yes - if you put Ionoprobe in Week mode you can see two in the last week -
          > January 31 and Feb 5, both at the same time of day (late) and both lasting
          > about the same time. Other parameters do not show it, so it must be some
          > sort of anomaly in the SSN data source or the handling of it.
          >
          > 73, Pete N4ZR
          >

          > At 03:39 AM 2/6/2006, you wrote:
          >>It's a minor point, but it's been puzzling me - is anyone else seeing
          >>Ionoprobe reporting a big spike in SSN every few days lasting a couple
          >>of hours? shows it jumping from the current near-zero to more than 200!
          >>I checked with another solar stats program and that did not show
          >>anything around that time.
          >>
          >>Martin (G8FXC)
          >>

          >>Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eric - VE3GSI
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hi Gang,

            Like Martin and Peter I was also wondering what was happening with SSN,
            thanks for the information Alex.
            Do any of you fellows know of a popular radio propagation reflector that
            caters only to the needs of the 'Ham'?

            73 Eric VE3GSI.