RE: [dxatlas] High Morse Runner Score Guys

  • Ian Parsons
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 12:57 PM
      Hi Eric,

      I don't consider myself part of that elite (?) group. I'm a bit below it.
      But here are my settings anyway. If they end up helping you out, great! :-)

      I use 45wpm, an activity level of 3, with the bandwidth usually left at
      400hz. Oh, and the "sidetone" is at 500z. I realize that all of these
      settings, especially the sidetone, are highly subjective.

      Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the QRM/QRN/QSB, LIDS, etc. settings can NOT
      be customized when in the competition mode.

      All of the above has gotten me to just under 240000, which I believe
      currently translates to 156 or so on the list.

      These are excellent questions, btw. And to be honest, I've been wanting to
      ask them myself for quite some time ;)

      As for your other questions, I've been licensed since '75 and CW has always
      been relatively easy for me. That is, until I start venturing outside of
      contest exchanges, hi! I've not had a station of my own since about '82 (I
      get my fixes by doing the guest op thing) so things like MR are pretty much
      my only way of keeping my skills/speed up to par. I tend to go through
      phases. I'll sometimes do 2 one-hour sessions in an evening. Maybe even 3 if
      it's a weekend with nothing going on. (Note that they're never
      "back-to-back". I always leave a few hours in between them). Then, for some
      unknown reason, I might just walk away from it all for as long as a month!

      Go figure ;)

      GL es 73!

      Ian, K5ZM

      _____

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8 1:15 PM
        Hi Eric.

        > What speeds, activities, pitch and filter settings are you high
        score ops
        > using? How many years have you been on CW. How much practice
        time? etc...

        My settings are:
        CW Speed: 60 WPM
        CW Pitch: 400 Hz
        RX Bandwidth: 350 Hz
        Activity: 4

        > I have been running at 33 WPM - Activity 3 to get 13356. Is this
        good - bad
        > - average?

        Frankly speaking your current result is average.
        To improve speed I can suggest you a helpful exercise:
        (exercise is based only on my own experience)
        Since your normal speed is 33 WPM, run MR at 33+20=53WPM
        and try to recognize callsigns.
        Work on that speed for for about 5 minutes.
        Then set 33+10=43WPM and work also for about 5 minutes.
        After 53 WPM you will notice that 43 WPM is not too fast and
        more or less acceptable.
        Then reduce the speed to your normal value and you will notice how
        slow it is! :) Run competition mode on 35-38WPM and you will break
        20K points.

        Take a look at my MR log and MP3 file.
        http://www.qsl.net/rw3gu/morserunner.htm

        73!