Re: [dxatlas] HAMCAP do not start

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4 5:53 PM
      Hi Bob,

      When Voacap installs itself, it stores the path to its home directory in the
      Registry under the following key:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ITS
      HF Propagation

      The value name is InstallLocation.

      Make sure that this value exists and that it points to the right directory
      (C:\itshfbc in your case).

      73 Alex VE3NEA

      > Hi Alex,
      >
      > try to use HamCap, also in cojunction with Win-Test.
      > HAMCAP refuse to start giving out an error,
      > cliaming VOACAP is not installed.
      > I installed VOACAP as per isntructions, and all seems OK.
      > VOACAP itself is working OK.
      >
      > VOACAP installed in C:\itshfbc
      > and Voacapw.exe is present in the directory bin_win.
      >
      > Nevertheless HamCap send out a Warning when start
      >
      > VOACAP v.3.082 or higher is required for this program
      > to run. Open the VOACAP download page? YES/NO.
      >
      > Hit NO
      > then
      >
      > an error window pops-up:
      >
      > Acces violation at address 0043338F in module 'HamCap.exe'
      > Read of address 0000014C.
      >
      > OK
      >
      > And stops.
      >
      > Any hint please?
      >
      > Bob, I2WIJ
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5 12:21 AM
        Hi Alex,

        thank for replying.
        I checked the registry as you suggested but
        info are there and they are correct.
        I even retyped the path but no changes.

        Any other thing I can do to overcome this situation?
        Thanks for your cooperation.

        73
        Bob, I2WIJ

        ============ you wrote ==============

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5 9:31 AM
          Bob,

          A lot of things can go wrong with the VOACAP installation, though none of
          those usually happens if the program is installed in a normal way:

          - you may not have a privilege to read the Registry,

          - the UninstallString value, in addition to InstallLocation, in the Registry
          may be missing or may contain a wrong path;

          - the file that specifies the program version,
          C:\itshfbc\database\Version.w32, may be missing or otherwise unavailable, or
          it may contain a wrong version number (on my system, it is "Version
          05.0119W");

          - the C:\itshfbc\antennas folder may be missing or marked as read-only, or
          you may not have sufficient privileges to write to it;

          - the same is true for C:\itshfbc\AREADATA and C:\itshfbc\RUN;

          - the executable may be corrupted, or you may not have a privilege to run
          it.

          73 Alex VE3NEA

          > Hi Alex,
          >
          > thank for replying.
          > I checked the registry as you suggested but
          > info are there and they are correct.
          > I even retyped the path but no changes.
          >
          > Any other thing I can do to overcome this situation?
          > Thanks for your cooperation.
          >
          > 73
          > Bob, I2WIJ
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8 5:30 AM
            Hi ALex,

            answers inside your e-mail text:

            from: "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...>
            Date: Tue Jul 5, 2005 6:31 pm
            Subject: Re: [dxatlas] HAMCAP do not start

            Bob,

            A lot of things can go wrong with the VOACAP
            installation, though none of
            those usually happens if the program is installed in a
            normal way:

            - you may not have a privilege to read the Registry,

            ===>NO, I have that privilege (I have admin
            privileges)

            - the UninstallString value, in addition to
            InstallLocation, in the Registry
            may be missing or may contain a wrong path;

            ===>What does that string have to contain?
            ===>mine has something /remove

            - the file that specifies the program version,
            C:\itshfbc\database\Version.w32, may be missing or
            otherwise unavailable, or it may contain a wrong
            version number (on my system, it is "Version
            05.0119W");

            ===>Also mine has same content;

            - the C:\itshfbc\antennas folder may be missing or
            marked as read-only, or
            you may not have sufficient privileges to write to it;

            ===> it was marked as read-only; changed to read/write
            with no different results

            - the same is true for C:\itshfbc\AREADATA and
            C:\itshfbc\RUN;

            ===> did the same; changed to read/write
            with no different results

            - the executable may be corrupted, or you may not have
            a privilege to run
            it.

            ===> I have privilege to run; executable is not
            corrupt
            since VOACAP is working ok on its own.

            Please any other hints??

            73
            Bob, I2WIJ
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8 7:23 AM
              Bob,

              > - the UninstallString value, in addition to
              > InstallLocation, in the Registry
              > may be missing or may contain a wrong path;
              >
              > ===>What does that string have to contain?
              > ===>mine has something /remove

              This path to the Voacap folder in this value must be correct:

              C:\itshfbc\Setup.exe /remove

              73 Alex VE3NEA
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11 1:43 PM