Re: [dxatlas] Active antennas for Skimmer?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
      Hi Rich - I have a prototype Clifton Labs antenna and like it. It does
      have a lot of trouble with noise pickup on the coax shield, requiring a
      lot of common mode choke. Most of the Skimmer ops around here seem to
      use either their main transmit antennas or multi-band verticals.

      73, Pete N4ZR

      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      On 1/23/2011 6:48 PM, n7tr wrote:
      > I am looking to use an active rcv antenna for my skimmer set up (160-10) vs a 6btv vertical. Looking for anyone who has done this and if the you had to decide which would be better for 160-10 meters...would you go the Hustler 6BTV or active antenna from DXEngineering / Clifton Labs?
      >
      > Thanks...
      > Rich N7TR

    • Wes Cosand
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
        Rich:

        I am happy with the HyGain HyTower Junior for the QS1R and Skimmer Server
        but it is more obtrusive in one's backyard than the 6BTV. It isn't resonant
        on 160 or the WARC bands but the SWR is reasonable and it does quite well on
        them. Of course, I use an 11 db preamp and low loss coax.

        Wes, WZ7I

      • Mike Fatchett W0MU
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2011
          I used one of the DXE active antennas from my 4 sq to feed my skimmer
          and it worked just fine.

          W0MU