Active antennas for Skimmer?

  • n7tr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2011
      I am looking to use an active rcv antenna for my skimmer set up (160-10) vs a 6btv vertical. Looking for anyone who has done this and if the you had to decide which would be better for 160-10 meters...would you go the Hustler 6BTV or active antenna from DXEngineering / Clifton Labs?

      Thanks...
      Rich N7TR
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
        Hi Rich - I have a prototype Clifton Labs antenna and like it. It does
        have a lot of trouble with noise pickup on the coax shield, requiring a
        lot of common mode choke. Most of the Skimmer ops around here seem to
        use either their main transmit antennas or multi-band verticals.

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 1/23/2011 6:48 PM, n7tr wrote:
        > I am looking to use an active rcv antenna for my skimmer set up (160-10) vs a 6btv vertical. Looking for anyone who has done this and if the you had to decide which would be better for 160-10 meters...would you go the Hustler 6BTV or active antenna from DXEngineering / Clifton Labs?
        >
        > Thanks...
        > Rich N7TR

      • Wes Cosand
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
          Rich:

          I am happy with the HyGain HyTower Junior for the QS1R and Skimmer Server
          but it is more obtrusive in one's backyard than the 6BTV. It isn't resonant
          on 160 or the WARC bands but the SWR is reasonable and it does quite well on
          them. Of course, I use an 11 db preamp and low loss coax.

          Wes, WZ7I

        • Mike Fatchett W0MU
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2011
            I used one of the DXE active antennas from my 4 sq to feed my skimmer
            and it worked just fine.

            W0MU