Re: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer and Windows update

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 29 6:18 PM
      Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
      you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
      started?

      73, Pete N4ZR

      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

      On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
      > I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??
      >
      > Tnx
      > Greg
      >

      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ALEX"<alshovk@...> wrote:
      >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
      >>
      >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file, Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
      >>
      >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

    • GREG FICHER
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 29 6:41 PM
        Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
        with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
        device error.

        Tnx
        Greg

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 30 5:53 AM
          Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

          On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
          > Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
          > with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
          > device error.
          >
          > Tnx
          > Greg
          >

          > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
          >> you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
          >> started?
          >>
          >> 73, Pete N4ZR
          >>
          >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
          >> www.conteststations.com
          >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
          >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
          >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
          >>

          >> On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
          >>> I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not
          >> detected". Is this related??
          >>> Tnx
          >>> Greg
          >>>

          >>> --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com<dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
          >> CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
          >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
          >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
          >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
          >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
          >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
          >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
          >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
          >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

        • GREG FICHER
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 30 9:45 AM
            Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 31 2:43 AM
              The "not found" error is precisely what I got with the winusb driver,
              and Alex confirmed to me at the time that CW Skimmer currently requires
              the libusb driver. You need to install the libusb driver and then all
              should be well.

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

              On 12/30/2010 12:45 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
              > Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.
              >

              > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?
              >>

              >> 73, Pete N4ZR
              >>
              >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
              >> www.conteststations.com
              >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
              >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
              >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
              >>
              >> On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
              >>> Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works
              >> fine
              >>> with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the
              >> USB
              >>> device error.
              >>>
              >>> Tnx
              >>> Greg

              >> <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,

              >> of
              >> access
              >> am
              >> since

            • GREG FICHER
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 31 9:13 AM
                Tnx Pete. I will try that again but I think I got the same error using
                libusb. I give it a go again though to be sure.

                HNY!
                Greg

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 31 10:50 AM
                  I believe you need to be sure and remove the winusb driver first, before
                  installing the libusb. You may be running into some hooks in the
                  registry left behind by the winusb driver if you installed one over the
                  other. In a correct installation, the libusb driver is in a separate
                  location of its own up in the middle of the device list, while the
                  winusb driver lives down among the USB devices at the bottom of the list.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com