Re: [dxatlas] OFF TOPIC: Looking for wireless router advice

  • GREG FICHER
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
      Hi John,

      I am very happy with the Netgear WNDR 37AV. That said it is not in my shack
      rather it is in the house. Shack is in the garage and I am hardwired from
      there to the house.

      Have you tried some good mix 43 ferrites on the power cable and connected
      CAT5 cable? I put these on just about everything. For CAT5 cable you can
      get about 10-11 turns on a 2.4 in diameter core. You can get these from
      Mouser or Digikey I think. Also believe DIZ Kits also sells them but are a
      little more there.

      73
      Greg
      AB7R

      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM, va7gg <jonie41@...> wrote:

      > Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
      > Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
      > Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
      > Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie problem?
      > Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?
      >
      > Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
      >
      > John, VE3KKQ

    • Michael G. Carper
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
        On a related note...

        I've had more interference from Uninterruptable Power Supplys (UPS) myself.
        You didn't happen to add one of those at the same time you put the wireless
        gear in did you?

        Mike, WA9PIE

        I am very happy with the Netgear WNDR 37AV. That said it is not in my shack
        rather it is in the house. Shack is in the garage and I am hardwired from
        there to the house.

        Have you tried some good mix 43 ferrites on the power cable and connected
        CAT5 cable? I put these on just about everything. For CAT5 cable you can
        get about 10-11 turns on a 2.4 in diameter core. You can get these from
        Mouser or Digikey I think. Also believe DIZ Kits also sells them but are a
        little more there.

        73
        Greg
        AB7R

        On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM, va7gg <jonie41@...> wrote:

        > Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
        > Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
        > Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
        > Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie
        problem?
        > Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?
        >
        > Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
        >
        > John, VE3KKQ

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
          Check the PSU.

          If it's a SMPS wall wart, replace with a linear type. Often, the PSU's
          are many 10's of dB's noiser than what they power.

          Worth a try.

          Dave 'wbx
        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
            Thank you for your suggestion or advice regarding the RFI from the Apple
            AirPort Extreme.

            I have solved my problem in simplest manor possible, I took the unit back to
            the store and set up the wireless router the fancy one was to replace.

            I also tried a D-Link DIR-825, no joy there either.

            Seems fancy don't work in the country!!

            I figured that would be the best way to temporarily deal with the RFI as
            most stores have a 30 day limit (purchased 2 weeks before Christmas) for
            returns and really didn't want to go back to the stores to stand in the
            snail paced queue to return items after Christmas.

            Could have ordered chokes but the return time limit was a concern if the
            chokes did not work out.

            I live out in the country and as it was the Christmas/New Year season, I was
            not going to make the trip to the "big city" in search of snap-on chokes,
            too many people in a hurry.

            Moving the router wasn't an option as it would have been roughly the same
            distance from the ham shack no matter where in the house the unit was
            placed.

            We will be moving to another house soon and hopefully it can be wired with
            CAT6 shielded cable.

            The original unit, a D-Link DI-524 does have the very same birdies at the
            very same locations although these are marginally above the noise level of
            the FT-857D receiver. Some suggested that I was picking up the RFI on my
            coax, I doubt that this is the case as most of my coax is under ground.

            A Happy New Year wish to all for a safe and DX loaded new year.

            John, VE3KKQ