OFF TOPIC: Looking for wireless router advice

  • va7gg
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
      Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
      Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
      Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
      Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie problem?
      Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?

      Thanks and Happy New Year to all...

      John, VE3KKQ
    • Michael Carper
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
        I've been using Linksys wireless access points/routers for over 10 years and
        never have had any problem. Today I'm using the Actiontec box that Verizon
        stuck me with for their FiOS service requires. No problems there either.

        Mike, WA9PIE

        On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM, va7gg <jonie41@...> wrote:

        > Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
        > Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
        > Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
        > Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie problem?
        > Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?
        >
        > Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
        >
        > John, VE3KKQ

      • GREG FICHER
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
          Hi John,

          I am very happy with the Netgear WNDR 37AV. That said it is not in my shack
          rather it is in the house. Shack is in the garage and I am hardwired from
          there to the house.

          Have you tried some good mix 43 ferrites on the power cable and connected
          CAT5 cable? I put these on just about everything. For CAT5 cable you can
          get about 10-11 turns on a 2.4 in diameter core. You can get these from
          Mouser or Digikey I think. Also believe DIZ Kits also sells them but are a
          little more there.

          73
          Greg
          AB7R

          On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM, va7gg <jonie41@...> wrote:

          > Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
          > Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
          > Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
          > Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie problem?
          > Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?
          >
          > Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
          >
          > John, VE3KKQ

        • Michael G. Carper
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2010
            On a related note...

            I've had more interference from Uninterruptable Power Supplys (UPS) myself.
            You didn't happen to add one of those at the same time you put the wireless
            gear in did you?

            Mike, WA9PIE

            I am very happy with the Netgear WNDR 37AV. That said it is not in my shack
            rather it is in the house. Shack is in the garage and I am hardwired from
            there to the house.

            Have you tried some good mix 43 ferrites on the power cable and connected
            CAT5 cable? I put these on just about everything. For CAT5 cable you can
            get about 10-11 turns on a 2.4 in diameter core. You can get these from
            Mouser or Digikey I think. Also believe DIZ Kits also sells them but are a
            little more there.

            73
            Greg
            AB7R

            On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM, va7gg <jonie41@...> wrote:

            > Have just installed an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router.
            > Works like a champ, very happy with the device.
            > Till I turned on the rig...birdies all over 20m!!
            > Are any of my fellow hams using the same router without the birdie
            problem?
            > Any alternate recommendations for a dual band wireless N router?
            >
            > Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
            >
            > John, VE3KKQ

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2010
              Check the PSU.

              If it's a SMPS wall wart, replace with a linear type. Often, the PSU's
              are many 10's of dB's noiser than what they power.

              Worth a try.

              Dave 'wbx
            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
                Thank you for your suggestion or advice regarding the RFI from the Apple
                AirPort Extreme.

                I have solved my problem in simplest manor possible, I took the unit back to
                the store and set up the wireless router the fancy one was to replace.

                I also tried a D-Link DIR-825, no joy there either.

                Seems fancy don't work in the country!!

                I figured that would be the best way to temporarily deal with the RFI as
                most stores have a 30 day limit (purchased 2 weeks before Christmas) for
                returns and really didn't want to go back to the stores to stand in the
                snail paced queue to return items after Christmas.

                Could have ordered chokes but the return time limit was a concern if the
                chokes did not work out.

                I live out in the country and as it was the Christmas/New Year season, I was
                not going to make the trip to the "big city" in search of snap-on chokes,
                too many people in a hurry.

                Moving the router wasn't an option as it would have been roughly the same
                distance from the ham shack no matter where in the house the unit was
                placed.

                We will be moving to another house soon and hopefully it can be wired with
                CAT6 shielded cable.

                The original unit, a D-Link DI-524 does have the very same birdies at the
                very same locations although these are marginally above the noise level of
                the FT-857D receiver. Some suggested that I was picking up the RFI on my
                coax, I doubt that this is the case as most of my coax is under ground.

                A Happy New Year wish to all for a safe and DX loaded new year.

                John, VE3KKQ