Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer and Windows update

  • GREG FICHER
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
      Hi Alex.

      I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
      Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
      again and let that driver load. Once I did that S

      On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX <alshovk@...> wrote:

      > Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
      > Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
      > violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
      > startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
      > problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
      > automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
      > computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
      > looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
      > CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
      >
      > If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
      > Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

    • GREG FICHER
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
        Hi Alex.

        I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
        Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
        again and let that driver load. Once I did that Skimmer Server ran OK.

        Thanks
        Greg
        AB7R

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
          Different problem, Greg, and the wrong place to post about it. I told
          Phil yesterday that there was a problem with the libUSB driver and/or
          the latest QS1R Server. It causes these symptoms. I'm sure Phil would
          like to hear about your symptoms via phil.covington@...

          73, Pete N4ZR

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

          On 12/12/2010 2:46 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
          > Hi Alex.
          >
          > I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
          > Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
          > again and let that driver load. Once I did that S
          >
          > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX<alshovk@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
          >> Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
          >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
          >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
          >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
          >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
          >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
          >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
          >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
          >>
          >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
          >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
          >>
          >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

        • K7NAV
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
            I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??

            Tnx
            Greg

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
              Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
              you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
              started?

              73, Pete N4ZR

              The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

              On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
              > I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??
              >
              > Tnx
              > Greg
              >

              > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ALEX"<alshovk@...> wrote:
              >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
              >>
              >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file, Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
              >>
              >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

            • GREG FICHER
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                device error.

                Tnx
                Greg

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                  Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                  On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                  > Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                  > with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                  > device error.
                  >
                  > Tnx
                  > Greg
                  >

                  > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
                  >> you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
                  >> started?
                  >>
                  >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                  >>
                  >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                  >> www.conteststations.com
                  >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                  >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                  >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                  >>

                  >> On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
                  >>> I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not
                  >> detected". Is this related??
                  >>> Tnx
                  >>> Greg
                  >>>

                  >>> --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com<dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  >> CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
                  >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
                  >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
                  >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
                  >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
                  >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
                  >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
                  >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                  >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

                • GREG FICHER
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                      The "not found" error is precisely what I got with the winusb driver,
                      and Alex confirmed to me at the time that CW Skimmer currently requires
                      the libusb driver. You need to install the libusb driver and then all
                      should be well.

                      73, Pete N4ZR

                      The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                      On 12/30/2010 12:45 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                      > Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.
                      >

                      > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?
                      >>

                      >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                      >>
                      >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                      >> www.conteststations.com
                      >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                      >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                      >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                      >>
                      >> On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                      >>> Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works
                      >> fine
                      >>> with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the
                      >> USB
                      >>> device error.
                      >>>
                      >>> Tnx
                      >>> Greg

                      >> <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      >> of
                      >> access
                      >> am
                      >> since

                    • GREG FICHER
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                        Tnx Pete. I will try that again but I think I got the same error using
                        libusb. I give it a go again though to be sure.

                        HNY!
                        Greg

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                          I believe you need to be sure and remove the winusb driver first, before
                          installing the libusb. You may be running into some hooks in the
                          registry left behind by the winusb driver if you installed one over the
                          other. In a correct installation, the libusb driver is in a separate
                          location of its own up in the middle of the device list, while the
                          winusb driver lives down among the USB devices at the bottom of the list.

                          73, Pete N4ZR

                          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com