Re: CW Skimmer and Windows update

  • eder
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
      good day.
      with help from friends I made one day before the restoration problem now skimmer works perfectly
      and realized that after the restoration did the update to Firefox and not had a problem with the skimmer he continues to run.
      the problem and what our friend said Harald OE9HLH
      I noticed that the antivirus avira not run this and so he is giving that problem in the skimmer
      I have not ran the avira and funcina skimmer perfectly
      now would be good to find fault for not having this problem of conflict with avira.
      the problem and the AVIRA ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE .. FIREFOX IS NOT ..
      I DID to update the Firefox SKIMMER AND CONTINUES TO WORK PERFECTLY
      AVIRA IS PERFORMED ONLY PROBLEM IS GIVING.

      EDER
      PY2XAT

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@...> wrote:

      > I changed the Avira to Avast! Free and that fixed the problem.
      >
      > -- Jarmo/oh8kva
      >
      > 2010/12/12 harald <oe9hlh@...>
      >

      > > Sorry!
      > >
      > > But it is really the AVIRA Virus-Scanner... Obviously simultaneous Firefox
      > > and Avira made a Update and suspected Firefox.
      > >
      > > I checked it out! Deinstalled AVIRA (Version 10.xx - distributed on Dez 10
      > > 2010) and now all is OK! Now I am using the free Microsoft Anti Virus (MSE -
      > > Microsoft Security Essentials). And CW Skimmer works!
      > >
      > > 73 de Harald
      > >

      > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Edward H Russell" <ehr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm running w7 x64 with the latest Microsoft and Firefox updates. No
      > > problem
      > > > with CW Skimmer here. Perhaps the problem is only with 32-bit Windows and
      > > > Firefox?

    • GREG FICHER
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
        Hi Alex.

        I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
        Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
        again and let that driver load. Once I did that S

        On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX <alshovk@...> wrote:

        > Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
        > Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
        > violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
        > startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
        > problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
        > automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
        > computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
        > looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
        > CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
        >
        > If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
        > Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

      • GREG FICHER
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
          Hi Alex.

          I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
          Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
          again and let that driver load. Once I did that Skimmer Server ran OK.

          Thanks
          Greg
          AB7R

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
            Different problem, Greg, and the wrong place to post about it. I told
            Phil yesterday that there was a problem with the libUSB driver and/or
            the latest QS1R Server. It causes these symptoms. I'm sure Phil would
            like to hear about your symptoms via phil.covington@...

            73, Pete N4ZR

            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

            On 12/12/2010 2:46 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
            > Hi Alex.
            >
            > I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
            > Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
            > again and let that driver load. Once I did that S
            >
            > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX<alshovk@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
            >> Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
            >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
            >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
            >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
            >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
            >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
            >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
            >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
            >>
            >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
            >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
            >>
            >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

          • K7NAV
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
              I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??

              Tnx
              Greg

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
                you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
                started?

                73, Pete N4ZR

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
                > I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??
                >
                > Tnx
                > Greg
                >

                > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ALEX"<alshovk@...> wrote:
                >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                >>
                >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file, Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
                >>
                >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

              • GREG FICHER
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                  Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                  with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                  device error.

                  Tnx
                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                    On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                    > Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                    > with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                    > device error.
                    >
                    > Tnx
                    > Greg
                    >

                    > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
                    >> you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
                    >> started?
                    >>
                    >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                    >>
                    >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                    >> www.conteststations.com
                    >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                    >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                    >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                    >>

                    >> On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
                    >>> I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not
                    >> detected". Is this related??
                    >>> Tnx
                    >>> Greg
                    >>>

                    >>> --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com<dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    >> CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
                    >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
                    >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
                    >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
                    >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
                    >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
                    >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
                    >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                    >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

                  • GREG FICHER
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                      Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                        The "not found" error is precisely what I got with the winusb driver,
                        and Alex confirmed to me at the time that CW Skimmer currently requires
                        the libusb driver. You need to install the libusb driver and then all
                        should be well.

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                        On 12/30/2010 12:45 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                        > Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.
                        >

                        > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?
                        >>

                        >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                        >>
                        >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                        >> www.conteststations.com
                        >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                        >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                        >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                        >>
                        >> On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                        >>> Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works
                        >> fine
                        >>> with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the
                        >> USB
                        >>> device error.
                        >>>
                        >>> Tnx
                        >>> Greg

                        >> <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        >> of
                        >> access
                        >> am
                        >> since

                      • GREG FICHER
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                          Tnx Pete. I will try that again but I think I got the same error using
                          libusb. I give it a go again though to be sure.

                          HNY!
                          Greg

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                            I believe you need to be sure and remove the winusb driver first, before
                            installing the libusb. You may be running into some hooks in the
                            registry left behind by the winusb driver if you installed one over the
                            other. In a correct installation, the libusb driver is in a separate
                            location of its own up in the middle of the device list, while the
                            winusb driver lives down among the USB devices at the bottom of the list.

                            73, Pete N4ZR

                            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com