Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer and Windows update

  • harald
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
      Sorry!

      But it is really the AVIRA Virus-Scanner... Obviously simultaneous Firefox and Avira made a Update and suspected Firefox.

      I checked it out! Deinstalled AVIRA (Version 10.xx - distributed on Dez 10 2010) and now all is OK! Now I am using the free Microsoft Anti Virus (MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials). And CW Skimmer works!

      73 de Harald

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Edward H Russell" <ehr@...> wrote:

      > I'm running w7 x64 with the latest Microsoft and Firefox updates. No problem
      > with CW Skimmer here. Perhaps the problem is only with 32-bit Windows and
      > Firefox?

    • Jarmo Blomster
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
        I changed the Avira to Avast! Free and that fixed the problem.

        -- Jarmo/oh8kva

        2010/12/12 harald <oe9hlh@...>

        > Sorry!
        >
        > But it is really the AVIRA Virus-Scanner... Obviously simultaneous Firefox
        > and Avira made a Update and suspected Firefox.
        >
        > I checked it out! Deinstalled AVIRA (Version 10.xx - distributed on Dez 10
        > 2010) and now all is OK! Now I am using the free Microsoft Anti Virus (MSE -
        > Microsoft Security Essentials). And CW Skimmer works!
        >
        > 73 de Harald
        >

        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Edward H Russell" <ehr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm running w7 x64 with the latest Microsoft and Firefox updates. No
        > problem
        > > with CW Skimmer here. Perhaps the problem is only with 32-bit Windows and
        > > Firefox?

      • eder
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
          good day.
          with help from friends I made one day before the restoration problem now skimmer works perfectly
          and realized that after the restoration did the update to Firefox and not had a problem with the skimmer he continues to run.
          the problem and what our friend said Harald OE9HLH
          I noticed that the antivirus avira not run this and so he is giving that problem in the skimmer
          I have not ran the avira and funcina skimmer perfectly
          now would be good to find fault for not having this problem of conflict with avira.
          the problem and the AVIRA ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE .. FIREFOX IS NOT ..
          I DID to update the Firefox SKIMMER AND CONTINUES TO WORK PERFECTLY
          AVIRA IS PERFORMED ONLY PROBLEM IS GIVING.

          EDER
          PY2XAT

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Jarmo Blomster <jarmoblo@...> wrote:

          > I changed the Avira to Avast! Free and that fixed the problem.
          >
          > -- Jarmo/oh8kva
          >
          > 2010/12/12 harald <oe9hlh@...>
          >

          > > Sorry!
          > >
          > > But it is really the AVIRA Virus-Scanner... Obviously simultaneous Firefox
          > > and Avira made a Update and suspected Firefox.
          > >
          > > I checked it out! Deinstalled AVIRA (Version 10.xx - distributed on Dez 10
          > > 2010) and now all is OK! Now I am using the free Microsoft Anti Virus (MSE -
          > > Microsoft Security Essentials). And CW Skimmer works!
          > >
          > > 73 de Harald
          > >

          > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "Edward H Russell" <ehr@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm running w7 x64 with the latest Microsoft and Firefox updates. No
          > > problem
          > > > with CW Skimmer here. Perhaps the problem is only with 32-bit Windows and
          > > > Firefox?

        • GREG FICHER
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
            Hi Alex.

            I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
            Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
            again and let that driver load. Once I did that S

            On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX <alshovk@...> wrote:

            > Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
            > Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
            > violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
            > startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
            > problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
            > automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
            > computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
            > looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
            > CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
            >
            > If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
            > Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

          • GREG FICHER
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
              Hi Alex.

              I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
              Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
              again and let that driver load. Once I did that Skimmer Server ran OK.

              Thanks
              Greg
              AB7R

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2010
                Different problem, Greg, and the wrong place to post about it. I told
                Phil yesterday that there was a problem with the libUSB driver and/or
                the latest QS1R Server. It causes these symptoms. I'm sure Phil would
                like to hear about your symptoms via phil.covington@...

                73, Pete N4ZR

                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                On 12/12/2010 2:46 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                > Hi Alex.
                >
                > I just installed the new SDRMAX IV software from Phil. After doing so
                > Skimmer would no longer communicate with the QS1R. I had to run SDRMaxII
                > again and let that driver load. Once I did that S
                >
                > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, ALEX<alshovk@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW
                >> Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
                >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
                >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
                >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
                >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
                >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
                >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
                >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                >>
                >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file,
                >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
                >>
                >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

              • K7NAV
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                  I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??

                  Tnx
                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                    Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
                    you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
                    started?

                    73, Pete N4ZR

                    The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                    On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
                    > I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not detected". Is this related??
                    >
                    > Tnx
                    > Greg
                    >

                    > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ALEX"<alshovk@...> wrote:
                    >> Since yesterday I have been receiving multiple reports from the users of CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                    >>
                    >> If you experience this problem, please send me the error log file, Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.
                    >>
                    >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

                  • GREG FICHER
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 29, 2010
                      Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                      with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                      device error.

                      Tnx
                      Greg

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                        Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?

                        73, Pete N4ZR

                        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                        On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                        > Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works fine
                        > with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the USB
                        > device error.
                        >
                        > Tnx
                        > Greg
                        >

                        > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Greg, yours may be related to changes in the QS1RT Server software. Had
                        >> you, by any chance, downloaded and run that software before your problem
                        >> started?
                        >>
                        >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                        >>
                        >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                        >> www.conteststations.com
                        >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                        >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                        >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                        >>

                        >> On 12/29/2010 8:29 PM, K7NAV wrote:
                        >>> I think my error message is a little different. "USB device not
                        >> detected". Is this related??
                        >>> Tnx
                        >>> Greg
                        >>>

                        >>> --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com<dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        >> CW Skimmer stating that the program has stopped working; it shows an access
                        >> violation error message, or an invalid device ID message, or both, on
                        >> startup, and then fails to run. Some of the users have noticed that this
                        >> problem started occurring immediately after the installation of a recent
                        >> automatic Windows update, and that CW Skimmer still works fine on the
                        >> computers not connected to the Internet. I am aware of the problem and am
                        >> looking for a solution, but the cause of the problem is still unknown since
                        >> CW Skimmer works fine on my own system. I will keep you updated.
                        >> Error(***).log, if it is present in your CW Skimmer folder.

                      • GREG FICHER
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 30, 2010
                          Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                            The "not found" error is precisely what I got with the winusb driver,
                            and Alex confirmed to me at the time that CW Skimmer currently requires
                            the libusb driver. You need to install the libusb driver and then all
                            should be well.

                            73, Pete N4ZR

                            The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                            On 12/30/2010 12:45 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                            > Tried both but right now I am using WinUSB.
                            >

                            > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Pete Smith<n4zr@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Which driver are you using, libusb or winusb?
                            >>

                            >> 73, Pete N4ZR
                            >>
                            >> The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
                            >> www.conteststations.com
                            >> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at
                            >> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                            >> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
                            >>
                            >> On 12/29/2010 9:41 PM, GREG FICHER wrote:
                            >>> Yes but before trying I updated the driver to that of MaxII. It works
                            >> fine
                            >>> with Skimmer Server but if I try to run just regular Skimmer I get the
                            >> USB
                            >>> device error.
                            >>>
                            >>> Tnx
                            >>> Greg

                            >> <dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>,

                            >> of
                            >> access
                            >> am
                            >> since

                          • GREG FICHER
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                              Tnx Pete. I will try that again but I think I got the same error using
                              libusb. I give it a go again though to be sure.

                              HNY!
                              Greg

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 31, 2010
                                I believe you need to be sure and remove the winusb driver first, before
                                installing the libusb. You may be running into some hooks in the
                                registry left behind by the winusb driver if you installed one over the
                                other. In a correct installation, the libusb driver is in a separate
                                location of its own up in the middle of the device list, while the
                                winusb driver lives down among the USB devices at the bottom of the list.

                                73, Pete N4ZR

                                The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com