Re: Faros - run away monitor display

  • LA9XKA
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
      Dave

      Thank You for these suggestions. The PC running Faros is a dedicated machine so nothing else will be running except an ftp program. As the box lives behind two firewalls and is not used for anything else than Faros I have no firewall or antivirus running. As per Your suggestion I have now gone thru and stopped all services not needed. I have also uninstalled a couple programs which will not be needed.

      As for using the onboard soundcard I will do this as a last resort because the usb link to the Icom radio is very convenient.

      I will leave the Faros running for a few days like this to see if these actions has solved the problems.

      Thank You!

      regards,

      LA9XKA Per

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > Try using the PC's own internal soundcard. But make sure you go into
      > Windows settings and turn off all the Windows event noises. Also, that
      > you select the "Line" input.
      >
      > I'm guessing your using the Signallink soundcard, and the Icom's internal
      > soundcard (I can't find full info on that yet) But the common thing
      > there is they use the USB interface.
      >
      > You might also want to check if they can or do use USB2 as well as plain
      > old USB, as the later is much much faster at shuffling data in and out.
      >
      > My guess is, something else is also trying to use the USB based
      > soundsystems for it's own use, and kicking things into touch as a result.
      > Check Windows sound settings, just in case it's automaticaly selecting
      > them whe you connect, or when it boots with them connected.
      >
      > Make sure too that Faros is using 48k samples/sec. Many sound systems
      > are not entirely happy at 96k, certainly if using a USB1 connection.
      >
      > Also, that you are using a Mono input setting, not the I/Q setting, that
      > is for use with some SDR receivers.
      >
      > It's also well worth disabling (while your running Faros) WIndows (and
      > any AV) auto updates, as they will seriously disturb some of Faros's
      > internal operations I've found in the past, when they kick off. Shutdown
      > other app's your not using, email clients etc, anything that might "reach
      > out" for something and find itself waiting for a response.
      >
      > Remember to re-enable updates when you've done with Faros.
      >
      > Just ideas, based on my own digital messings with Faros over the last
      > couple of years on several machines.
      >
      > 73.
      >
      > Dave G0WBX.

    • Gerhard Baumgartner
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
        hi,

        thanks for the suggestions dave. I will try them when I am back at home in
        front of my system end of next week! the hope stays!

        best

        gerhard oe3bga