New skimmer user...video & decoding problems

  • screwylou
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi all. I just bought CW skimmer after getting recommended it by a friend. It works great, except for one not-so minor bug on my machine. 90% of the time I move the Skimmer window, or put any other window in front (like my keyer software), Skimmer stops decoding and the waterfall suddenly fills with horizontal lines all the way across. If I stop and restart the decoding, it comes back to normal.

      I tried updating the video drivers, as well as turning off hardware acceleration on the video...no difference.

      Anyone seen this before? Any clues or guesses?
      Thanks,
      --Brian, W2BJM
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
        I haven't seen this in close to 3 years using Skimmer and Skimmer
        Server, nor have I seen any mention of it elsewhere. Makes me suspect
        your machine, either the OS or hardware. What are you using?

        73, Pete N4ZR

        The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

        On 12/1/2010 10:08 PM, screwylou wrote:
        > Hi all. I just bought CW skimmer after getting recommended it by a friend. It works great, except for one not-so minor bug on my machine. 90% of the time I move the Skimmer window, or put any other window in front (like my keyer software), Skimmer stops decoding and the waterfall suddenly fills with horizontal lines all the way across. If I stop and restart the decoding, it comes back to normal.
        >
        > I tried updating the video drivers, as well as turning off hardware acceleration on the video...no difference.
        >
        > Anyone seen this before? Any clues or guesses?
        > Thanks,
        > --Brian, W2BJM

      • Jeff Blaine
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
          This will happen on a slow machine. I have a Pentium 2Ghz machine that will do this in just about the exact way he describes. And if the sound card is fed by USB, it’s far worse.

          The appetite for CPU by Skimmer is huge. At least, huge by older PC standards.

          73, Jeff ACØC
          www.ac0c.com

          The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
          The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net,/ blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,

          On 12/1/2010 10:08 PM, screwylou wrote:
          > Hi all. I just bought CW skimmer after getting recommended it by a friend. It works great, except for one not-so minor bug on my machine. 90% of the time I move the Skimmer window, or put any other window in front (like my keyer software), Skimmer stops decoding and the waterfall suddenly fills with horizontal lines all the way across. If I stop and restart the decoding, it comes back to normal.
          >
          > I tried updating the video drivers, as well as turning off hardware acceleration on the video...no difference.
          >
          > Anyone seen this before? Any clues or guesses?
          > Thanks,
          > --Brian, W2BJM

        • screwylou
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
            Figured it out. It's a dual 2.8Ghz Xeon. The "sound card" is via a Digi Keyer. I switched the Soundcard driver setting from "WDM" to "MME" and that did the trick.

            Thanks everyone!
            --Brian, W2BJM