Compatibility between MR and Win 98.

  • Gabriel Battaglia
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2005
      Hi all, hi Alex.

      I already writen about this subject and as I didn't change my Operative
      system yet, it is already affecting me.

      On my computer runs Win 98 SE, with a very large Hard Disk, 256 MB/Ram
      within 500 Mhz Celeron Processor CPU.

      The Sound Card is from Creative, type SB Live 1024.
      I'm blind so I pay lots of attenction to everything regarding Sounds world,
      soundblaster configuration and so on... I'm using a Screen reader in order
      to access to my computer output and I love whole things regarding audio
      editing like Goldwave or SoundForge softwares. I have a large experience in
      it and all these programs never gave me incompatibility troubles with my
      SoundCard, no one except from Morse Runner.
      In the past, when I worked with DOS system I was a FAN of RUFZ from DL4MM
      since that moment I never find a good CW-trainer like that. Now I discovered
      your Morse runner but it doesn't work properly on my SoundBlaster.
      I wonder if you have discovered where the problem is... And if it will be
      possible for you to fix it easly... to give me the opportunity to use it on
      this PC.
      If you thing would be necessary, I can give you details about my SoundCard
      configuration.

      Thanks in advance and best 73 to you and family all.
      IZ4APU - Gabriel - North-East Italy.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2005
        Hi Gabriel,

        The programs that you mentioned are very different from Morse Runner. They
        are not real-time programs, i.e., they load a huge amount of audio data in a
        buffer and then play it smoothly even if the sound card (or its driver, as
        on Windows 98), is very slow.

        Morse Runner has to react instantly to the user actions. For example, when
        you hit F1, it should start sending CQ immediately. If MR had a 2-second
        buffer, you would have to wait 2 seconds until you CQ starts! Since MR is a
        real-time program, it can afford only a very small audio buffer. Because of
        this, it requires a relatively fast audio card/driver. In the last few
        versions of Morse Runner, you can trade the reaction time for stable audio,
        please see the readme file for details. Most people who run MR on Win98
        increased the buffer size as instructed, and fixed the problem completely.

        73 Alex VE3NEA