RE: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer - Omni-Rig support for Ten-Tec 538 Jupiter

  • Dave AA6YQ
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
      With Commander and a connected virtual serial port pair (like VSPE or
      com0com, both of which are free) CW Skimmer can track and control any of the
      more than 100 transceivers that Commander supports, including the TenTec
      Jupiter. In the configuration described, OmniRig thinks its controlling a
      Kenwood transceiver, no matter what you're actually using. For a block
      diagram and step-by-step instructions, see

      <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SkimmerCommander>

      Commander is free, and available via www.dxlabsuite.com

      73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2010
        Re: CW Skimmer - Omni-Rig support for Ten-Tec 538 Jupiter
        Posted by: "Mike"
        Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 pm (PST)

[...]

        /Unquote

        Hi Mike.

        I've done a .ini file for one or two odd things I have, and didn= 't have
        that sort of problem

        What version Windows are you using? If Vista or 7, try rel= ocating (as
        in uninstalling/re-installing) OmniRig to a folder that is not= related
        to the "Program Files" structure. You'll have to do it that way, not
        just moving it's folder, so the OS can make al= l the correct registry
        and linking details for Skimmer (and others) to use.

        Make sure Notepad hasn't screwed up and made your file name some= thing
        like radio.ini.txt You may have to change your Windows Explorer "view"
        settings to = check that, but that's not dificult. If so, rename it
        accordingly. (Windows trying to hid= e details from us again)

        Were you logged in as the same user that will use Skimmer, when = you
        created the .ini file?

        Also make sure you have all the file sections OmniRig expects to= find in
        the .ini file, even the ones you don't use, need to be there, but with
        dummy or empty action s= ections.

        For example...
        [pmVfoSwap]
        ;not supported

        Chances are, you have one of the readback settings not specified= quite
        right, so OmniRig is choking on something it's not expecting from the
        radio. It's a= nice feature, but it's a pity that can't be bypassed or
        turned off, as not all rig's support readback of all = their settings for
        all parameters. (The Icom PC-R1000 for example.)

        Did you try running the OmniRig "Rig Description Validator&= quot;? It
        can be a great help!
        That comes from Alex too, on his page at:-
        http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/ Scroll down to the &= quot;Tools"
        section.

        Lastly.
        Make sure that Skimmer is using the particular incarnation of Om= niRig
        you think it is! There are instances about, where a newly installed
        program that uses OmniR= ig, install's it's own copy irrespective of what
        may exist already.

        Note too, that Vista and 7 has a totally different audio system =
        software structure to XP and earlier, and many HAM programs have trouble
        with that, unless you tell the= m to use an external USB soundcard for
        example. Rocky suffer's this with a= vengance, I don't use Skimmer, and
        I've not tried Faros on Vista.

        Hope something here helps.

        Regards.

        Dave G0WBX.