Faros direct I/Q problems

  • roberto.barrios
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2010
      Hi all,

      I'm running Faros 1.3, Virtual Audio Cable 4.1 and PowerSDR Beta v2.0.8 with a Flex-5000 radio. I've spent an awful amount of time trying to make Faros work with the I/Q connection via VAC. It works fine in audio mode, which is not surprising. I've got also CWSkimmer, (also licensed as the rest of the software) and it seems to work almost always with I/Q input, with many different configurations.

      I see Faros creating a receive stream on the output cable so it is listening, but for some reason the I/Q data it is receiving is not what it expects. With some configurations I see signals on the Faros waterfall but I can't find the relationship between them and the waterfall in PowerSDR.

      I tried with different drivers (MME, Windows Direct Sound, WDM-KS) and different sample rates. CW skimmer works with most of them but Faros works with none... Also tried with Cable Range and Cable Format stream modes in VAC.

      I can't hear most of the NCDXF beacons most of the time, so I disable CAT and manually tune the radio to a strong CW station, and look for in the waterfall. This should work right?

      Does anyone have a similar setup, an idea on how to troubleshoot this?

      Thank you!
      Roberto EB4EQA
    • Edward H Russell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2010
        Hi Roberto,

        I have had the PowerSDR VAC connection working with Faros for a long time
        with no problems. The trick seems to be setting the audio IF to -9600. This
        is because the I/Q signals coming from PowerSDR are reversed from what Faros
        expects. Also be sure PowerSDR is in CWU mode, with SR off, a narrow filter
        and a CW offset of 600. Hope this helps.

        73 Ed W2RF

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2010
          Hi Ed !

          Yeeeeees, indeed it helped !! It took me a blink of an eye to see it running. I would never haved tried that...

          Thank you
          Roberto EB4EQA