OmniRig is everywhere on my computer

  • Michael G. Carper
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
      Has this happened to anyone else?

      There are applications (not written by Alex) that use OmniRig. Some of
      those installs do THEIR OWN install of OmniRig.

      OmniRig gets launched (directly, or by another program) from whatever
      location the program that first launches finds it. All other programs
      launched later, realize that OmniRig is already running and will use it.

      The reason I'm asking.

      I'm trying to modify the INI for a radio. It seems that there are multiple
      locations where these rig INI files are. I keep posting them in places, but
      the Client app doesn't find the INI files I've created.

      Beyond that - I'm wondering if this has anything to do with why BandMaster
      works in Windows 7 for some. doesn't for others.

      .just wondering.

      Mike, WA9PIE

    • Neal Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
        The biggest problem with Win7 is a security "feature" it calls the Virtual
        Store (no its not a place to buy something good). Since nasty software could
        attack the system by altering programs, their data as well as the Windows
        files, MS implemented a security feature that prevents you from doing that,
        instead when a program tries to update something in their program folder, it
        makes the update occur inside the Virtual Store folder.

        Programs (from the XP-era) often held their configuration files, user
        options, window locations, etc. inside their own program folder because it
        was easy and you always knew where things were. Unfortunately, the default
        option in Win7 (and Vista) is to implement this virtual store security
        feature so you actually do not know where the things are and often they are
        not in the right location. Hence, you make changes to the options of your
        program and they disappear the next time that you run it, etc.

        There is an option to turn off this virtual store feature but its only
        safely applied just after you install win7. I have seen random problems
        associated with changing it after you have run the system for a while. So if
        you reload win7 anytime in the future, disable this setting and you will
        eliminate a few of those "gotcha" moments!

        73
        Neal Campbell
        Abroham Neal Software
        www.abrohamnealsoftware.com
        (540) 645 5394

        On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Michael G. Carper <mike@...> wrote:

        > Has this happened to anyone else?
        >
        > There are applications (not written by Alex) that use OmniRig. Some of
        > those installs do THEIR OWN install of OmniRig.
        >
        > OmniRig gets launched (directly, or by another program) from whatever
        > location the program that first launches finds it. All other programs
        > launched later, realize that OmniRig is already running and will use it.
        >
        > The reason I'm asking.
        >
        > I'm trying to modify the INI for a radio. It seems that there are multiple
        > locations where these rig INI files are. I keep posting them in places, but
        > the Client app doesn't find the INI files I've created.
        >
        > Beyond that - I'm wondering if this has anything to do with why BandMaster
        > works in Windows 7 for some. doesn't for others.
        >
        > .just wondering.
        >
        > Mike, WA9PIE

      • Michael G. Carper
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2010
          That's all true. But that's not my point. My point is this...

          When I install a program that uses OmniRig (like LogWindow)... their stupid
          install routine attempts to install OmniRig in the same directory as
          LogWindow. So then, if you install BandMaster... or OmniRig directly, those
          installs will put the program in another directory. Then I've got two
          installs of OmniRig - two different versions too.

          Happy fun.