Skip to search.

RE: [dxatlas] Simple skimmer/call sign data base connection?

  • Dave AA6YQ
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
      -----Original Message-----
      From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of Steve Ellington
      Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 4:01 PM
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [dxatlas] Simple skimmer/call sign data base connection?

      Dave
      Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
      Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
      window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
      don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
      need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
      is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
      desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

      >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
      to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
      like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

      73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
        Reverse Beacon doesn't supply bearings. Those would come from QRZ. When you click on the DX Spot, Logger32 pulls the bearing and distance and puts it in the entry window.

        Steve

        Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
        Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
        window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
        don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
        need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
        is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
        desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

        >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
        to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
        like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

        73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

        Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
        to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
        the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
        which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
        that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

        I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
        to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
        with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
        instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
        delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

        Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
        facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
        frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
        in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
        of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
        constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
        why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

        Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

        Mike - ke5akl

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

        > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
        tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
        You can create filters on there also.

        > Steve

      • Dave AA6YQ
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23, 2010
            Hi,

            Just a note on where I ended up with this.

            I've been using Band Master with CW Skimmer and it does pretty much everything I want to do - for now anyway.

            73,

            Mike - ke5akl