Re: [dxatlas] Simple skimmer/call sign data base connection?

  • Steve Ellington
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
      Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.

      Steve

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mike
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [dxatlas] Simple skimmer/call sign data base connection?

      Steve,

      Thanks for the reply.

      However, I was thinking of something a lot simpler. Maybe some kind of straightforward, Windows-based telnet client that would support clicking on a spotted callsign to bring up its QRZ page? Anyone know of such a thing?

      I don't use a computer logger. The one's I've seen seem very complex and learning the ins and outs of one just for the simple thing I'm after doesn't appeal very much.

      Thanks,

      Mike - ke5akl

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

      > I've been using Logger32 for just this. It's telnet interface populates a DXSpot window. You can set filters for bands and countries. Click on a call, K3 tunes to frequency, QRZ pops up and data shows up in your log. Very nice!
      > Steve

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
        Steve,

        Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

        I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

        Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country, frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

        Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

        Mike - ke5akl

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

        > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.
        >
        > Steve

      • Dave AA6YQ
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
          SpotCollector can connect to up to 6 spot sources, including telnet
          clusters, DX summit, and the reverse beacon network. It displays a live list
          of active DX stations with one entry per station showing time of first spot
          (on the spotted band, in the spotted mode), time of most recent spot, DXCC
          prefix, etc. A screenshot can be seen in

          <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/spotdatabase.jpg>

          The DX station list can be filtered by band, mode, continent, location of
          spotting station, distance to spotting station, cq zone, iota tag, etc; the
          list can be sorted by first-time, last-time, callsign, frequency, or
          azimuth.

          If DXView is also running, each entry in SpotCollector's DX Station list
          will include the bearing from your QTH to that entry's DX station. DXView
          can display the location of stations on SpotCollector's list on DX Atlas,
          and provides independent filtering by band, mode, continent and origin. A
          screenshot showing 20m yesterday at 2029Z can be seen in

          <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Spots/20m.jpg>

          Online documentation for SpotCollector can be found in
          <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/index.htm>; the same
          information in PDF form is available via
          http://dxlab.ky1v.com/SpotCollector/SpotCollector.pdf.

          Task-oriented documentation for SpotCollector is available via
          <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpots>

          SpotCollector and DXView are both components of the free-ware DXLab Suite,
          and are available via www.dxlabsuite.com

          73,

          Dave, AA6YQ

          Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
          to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
          the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
          which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
          that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

          I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
          to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
          with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
          instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
          delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

          Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
          facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
          frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
          in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
          of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
          constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
          why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

          Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

          Mike - ke5akl

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

          > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
          tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
          You can create filters on there also.

          > Steve

        • Steve Ellington
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
            Dave
            Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?
            Steve

            Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

            I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

            Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country, frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

            Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

            Mike - ke5akl

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

            > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.
            >
            > Steve

          • Dave AA6YQ
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
              Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
              Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
              window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
              don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
              need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
              is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
              desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

              >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
              to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
              like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

              73,

              Dave, AA6YQ

              Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
              to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
              the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
              which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
              that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

              I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
              to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
              with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
              instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
              delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

              Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
              facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
              frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
              in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
              of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
              constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
              why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

              Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

              Mike - ke5akl

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

              > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
              tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
              You can create filters on there also.

              > Steve

            • Steve Ellington
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                Reverse Beacon doesn't supply bearings. Those would come from QRZ. When you click on the DX Spot, Logger32 pulls the bearing and distance and puts it in the entry window.

                Steve

                Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
                Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
                window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
                don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
                need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
                is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
                desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

                >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
                to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
                like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

                73,

                Dave, AA6YQ

                Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
                to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
                the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
                which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
                that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

                I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
                to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
                with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
                instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
                delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

                Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
                facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
                frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
                in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
                of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
                constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
                why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

                Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

                Mike - ke5akl

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
                tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
                You can create filters on there also.

                > Steve

              • Dave AA6YQ
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2010
                    Hi,

                    Just a note on where I ended up with this.

                    I've been using Band Master with CW Skimmer and it does pretty much everything I want to do - for now anyway.

                    73,

                    Mike - ke5akl