Simple skimmer/call sign data base connection?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 16, 2010
      Hi,

      Is there anything available that will get simply from cw skimmer spots to call sign data entries on, say, QRZ, or Buckmaster, without having to reenter the call sign by hand?

      I've been able to get skimmer running with the N1MM logging program but I'm not really using N1MM as a logger, just as an intermediary between skimmer and QRZ and, as such, its way more complex than what I'm looking for. All that's needed is something that will receive spots and display the associated callsign info either automatically, or with a click on the spotted callsign.

      Thanks and 73,

      Mike - ke5akl
    • Steve Ellington
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 16, 2010
        I've been using Logger32 for just this. It's telnet interface populates a DXSpot window. You can set filters for bands and countries. Click on a call, K3 tunes to frequency, QRZ pops up and data shows up in your log. Very nice!
        Steve

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
          Steve,

          Thanks for the reply.

          However, I was thinking of something a lot simpler. Maybe some kind of straightforward, Windows-based telnet client that would support clicking on a spotted callsign to bring up its QRZ page? Anyone know of such a thing?

          I don't use a computer logger. The one's I've seen seem very complex and learning the ins and outs of one just for the simple thing I'm after doesn't appeal very much.

          Thanks,

          Mike - ke5akl

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

          > I've been using Logger32 for just this. It's telnet interface populates a DXSpot window. You can set filters for bands and countries. Click on a call, K3 tunes to frequency, QRZ pops up and data shows up in your log. Very nice!
          > Steve

        • Steve Ellington
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
            Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.

            Steve

            However, I was thinking of something a lot simpler. Maybe some kind of straightforward, Windows-based telnet client that would support clicking on a spotted callsign to bring up its QRZ page? Anyone know of such a thing?

            I don't use a computer logger. The one's I've seen seem very complex and learning the ins and outs of one just for the simple thing I'm after doesn't appeal very much.

            Thanks,

            Mike - ke5akl

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

            > I've been using Logger32 for just this. It's telnet interface populates a DXSpot window. You can set filters for bands and countries. Click on a call, K3 tunes to frequency, QRZ pops up and data shows up in your log. Very nice!
            > Steve

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
              Steve,

              Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

              I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

              Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country, frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

              Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

              Mike - ke5akl

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

              > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.
              >
              > Steve

            • Dave AA6YQ
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                SpotCollector can connect to up to 6 spot sources, including telnet
                clusters, DX summit, and the reverse beacon network. It displays a live list
                of active DX stations with one entry per station showing time of first spot
                (on the spotted band, in the spotted mode), time of most recent spot, DXCC
                prefix, etc. A screenshot can be seen in

                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/spotdatabase.jpg>

                The DX station list can be filtered by band, mode, continent, location of
                spotting station, distance to spotting station, cq zone, iota tag, etc; the
                list can be sorted by first-time, last-time, callsign, frequency, or
                azimuth.

                If DXView is also running, each entry in SpotCollector's DX Station list
                will include the bearing from your QTH to that entry's DX station. DXView
                can display the location of stations on SpotCollector's list on DX Atlas,
                and provides independent filtering by band, mode, continent and origin. A
                screenshot showing 20m yesterday at 2029Z can be seen in

                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Spots/20m.jpg>

                Online documentation for SpotCollector can be found in
                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/index.htm>; the same
                information in PDF form is available via
                http://dxlab.ky1v.com/SpotCollector/SpotCollector.pdf.

                Task-oriented documentation for SpotCollector is available via
                <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpots>

                SpotCollector and DXView are both components of the free-ware DXLab Suite,
                and are available via www.dxlabsuite.com

                73,

                Dave, AA6YQ

                Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
                to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
                the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
                which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
                that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

                I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
                to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
                with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
                instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
                delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

                Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
                facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
                frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
                in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
                of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
                constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
                why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

                Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

                Mike - ke5akl

                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
                tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
                You can create filters on there also.

                > Steve

              • Steve Ellington
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                  Dave
                  Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?
                  Steve

                  Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

                  I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

                  Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country, frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

                  Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

                  Mike - ke5akl

                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                  > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info. You can create filters on there also.
                  >
                  > Steve

                • Dave AA6YQ
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                    Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
                    Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
                    window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
                    don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
                    need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
                    is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
                    desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

                    >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
                    to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
                    like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

                    73,

                    Dave, AA6YQ

                    Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
                    to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
                    the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
                    which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
                    that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

                    I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
                    to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
                    with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
                    instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
                    delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

                    Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
                    facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
                    frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
                    in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
                    of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
                    constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
                    why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

                    Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

                    Mike - ke5akl

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                    > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
                    tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
                    You can create filters on there also.

                    > Steve

                  • Steve Ellington
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                      Reverse Beacon doesn't supply bearings. Those would come from QRZ. When you click on the DX Spot, Logger32 pulls the bearing and distance and puts it in the entry window.

                      Steve

                      Well I guess thats why I'm using Logger32's Telnet feature. Just set up it's
                      Telnet interface for reverse beacon and let it log in then open the DX Spot
                      window only. Right click on the window and set up your blocking filters. You
                      don't need to bother with the logging part if you don't want to. You will
                      need to add the QRZ HTTP lookup program to the Logger32 directory. Once that
                      is set up, you can click any spot and it will open QRZ for you and if
                      desired, populate the Log plus tune the rig for you. Am I missing anything?

                      >>>Does each entry in the DX Spots window display the bearing from your QTH
                      to the DX, as Mike requested below? Is the bearing accurate for callsigns
                      like mine (I live near Boston, MA)?

                      73,

                      Dave, AA6YQ

                      Yes, I tried reverse beacon and it works as you say. However, it takes you
                      to something called DXWATCH instead of QRZ. I'm mostly interested in getting
                      the calls country and bearing from my QTH. DXWATCH provides the QRZ bio
                      which gives country but not the QRZ "details" so no bearing. The result is
                      that I end up having to go to QRZ anyway by copying the call sign.

                      I also found a windows based telnet client called RDXCluster that connects
                      to skimmer. This gives the info I want on the main display, connects to QRZ
                      with a couple of clicks, provides the QRZ page right in one of it's windows
                      instead of switching to your browser and adding a window that you have to
                      delete later, and also supports rig control via Omni Rig.

                      Has some drawbacks though. First, it seems there's no user's manual or help
                      facility of any kind. It's not possible to sort spots by call sign, country,
                      frequency, etc. so you're stuck with chronological order. Also, it operates
                      in sort of a weird way in that spots are added at the bottom and when a lot
                      of spots pile up they disappear off the bottom of the display causing you to
                      constantly have to scroll down manually to find the latest spots. Not sure
                      why he set it up that way but it's a real pain.

                      Anyway, 73 and thanks for the info.

                      Mike - ke5akl

                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                      > Well if that's all you want to do, just go to www.reversebeacon.net, main
                      tab, wait for your spot then click the callsign. It brings up QRZ's info.
                      You can create filters on there also.

                      > Steve

                    • Dave AA6YQ
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 23, 2010
                          Hi,

                          Just a note on where I ended up with this.

                          I've been using Band Master with CW Skimmer and it does pretty much everything I want to do - for now anyway.

                          73,

                          Mike - ke5akl