[dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer Audio IF frequency changes on its own

  • bill_w4zv
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Adams <wa9vee@...> wrote:

      > Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
      > the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
      > for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
      > action yet.

      Some misinformation here...

      1. LP-Bridge does include filter offset info:

      "SDR Linking... The following functions are currently linked between the K3 and the SDR software: VFO A, VFO B, Mode, IF Offset and TX/RX. The links are bidirectional, meaning that any change made on the SDR software will be reflected at the K3, and vice versa. In addition, LP-Bridge provides links for VFO B, K3 bandwidth and Preamp/Attenuator settings to allow the vertical scale in the SDR software to be re-adjusted whenever the K3 preamp or attenuator are activated. These require setting up an additional CAT interface port in the SDR software."

      http://www.telepostinc.com/LPB.html

      2. The K3 has filter offsets for 5-pole filters but no offset for 8-pole filters.

      3. Skimmer's Omni-Rig can only accept one offset.

      4. WU2X's latest version of PowerSDR does include offset corrections.

      "If you have selected the Elecraft K3 as your rig type, you don't need to put any values in for the IF Frequencies for each mode - leave them set to zero." (referring to PowerSDR...not Skimmer)

      To correct for the K3 offset issue with Skimmer, there are several potential solutions:

      1. Use only 8-pole filters which have zero offsets and thus do not change when switching filters.

      2. Keep track of which filter you are using and change the Skimmer > Settings > Radio > Audio IF setting manually when you switch filters. This isn't convenient but it's what I do. Since I use 500 Hz 8-poles in diversity 99% of the time on CW, it's not a huge problem for me.

      3. If Alex had time, it should be possible to read the K3 IF offsets via commands (as PowerSDR does) and correct the Audio IF settings automatically. However he's very busy and probably has higher priorities to worry about than this one.

      BTW I no longer use PowerSDR/HRD at all. I use only Skimmer directly with the K3, N1MM and LP-Bridge. For contesting and DX-ing on CW, I don't miss the PowerSDR/HRD combination at all, which takes quite a load off of my computer as well.

      73, Bill
    • Steve Ellington
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
        Bill
        I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
          Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
          corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
          Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
          implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
          v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
          Skimmer as well.

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

            > Bill
            > I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

            It's not a huge issue for me since 24 kHz covers the most interesting areas of the CW bands for me. Plus you can Page Up or Down very quickly if you want to check other areas. When contesting with Blind Skimmer, I jump (up or down) to the next decoder dot. When you do this the 24 kHz window is always centered on the green passband window, so it's always tracking you as you S&P up or down the band.

            It would be nice to have wider spans, but the advantages of Skimmer are so great compared to any other SDR waterfall, I'm willing to live with 24 kHz for those advantages. If you really want wider spans there are other alternatives like SDR-IQ, Perseus, QS1R, P3, etc. The P3 already has 200 kHz spans with higher promised for the future, and I would carefully watch what Elecraft does with that AUX DATA output on the rear. I can imagine it might make an SDR-IQ obsolete in the future.

            73, Bill
          • bill_w4zv
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
              I contacted Larry N8LP and he reported:

              "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

              Larry N8LP"

            • Steve Ellington
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                Steve

                "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                Larry N8LP"

                73, Bill

                > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                > Skimmer as well.

              • Jeff Blaine
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                  Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                  73/jeff/ac0c
                  www.ac0c.com

                  What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                  Steve

                  "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                  Larry N8LP"

                  73, Bill

                  > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                  > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                  > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                  > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                  > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                  > Skimmer as well.

                • Steve Ellington
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                    Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                    Steve

                    Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                    73/jeff/ac0c
                    www.ac0c.com

                    What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                    Steve

                    "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                    Larry N8LP"

                    73, Bill

                    > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                    > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                    > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                    > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                    > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                    > Skimmer as well.

                  • Jeff Blaine
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                      Steve,

                      Lot more interoperability being squeezed out of skimmer than what it was designed with. A bit tough without that capability as part of the original feature set so most guys have to work around this and that as Alex is understandability not wanting to do a lot to the code on this older project. New fish to fry and all that...

                      Oh, I should have said more properly "Skimmer speaks to LP."

                      73/jeff/ac0c
                      www.ac0c.com

                      Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                      Steve

                      Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                      73/jeff/ac0c
                      www.ac0c.com

                      What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                      Steve

                      "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                      Larry N8LP"

                      73, Bill

                      > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                      > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                      > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                      > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                      > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                      > Skimmer as well.

                    • Steve Ellington
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                        Well the freq. change isn't all that big a deal now that I understand whats happening. I've just got one 8 pole, 400 hz filter and the rest are 5 pole so I can either skip 8 pole and jump to the 200 hz, 5 pole or change out the other 2 filters.
                        When I look at Skimmer I think....Wouldn't it make sense to turn the display up vertically like most waterfalls? So using the video card's options, I rotated the display 90 degrees and dragged the screen out to the full width of the 19" monitor. Now I can see 15 khz instead of just 6 khz of the band. Of course there is the sideways mouse issue and reading calls is not so easy.