Re: [dxatlas] Re: CW Skimmer Audio IF frequency changes on its own

  • Steve Ellington
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
      Alex:
      Yes...That was the problem. Changing the IF bandwidth causes the IF frequency to vary thus throwing off the skimmer display. I now remember something about this concering PowerSDR-IF and it was solved by W2UX in his version.
      Thanks for the help!

      Steve

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
        Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
        the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
        for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
        action yet.

        Where do I find more information? Googling W2UX doesn't bring up much.

        ________________________________

        I have never used K3 myself, but I was told that the exact value of IF in this
        radio varies with time, e.g., when the user selects a different filter. Please
        see if you can find any correlation between the settings of the radio and the
        required value of Audio IF.

        Please email me directly if you need further help. This forum is for user to
        user communications, not for support requests.

        73 Alex VE3NEA

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n4lq" <n4lq@...> wrote:

        > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for 1700 Hz.
        >I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
        >
        > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
        >frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the Audio IF to 0
        >and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot up, I'll have to change
        >it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens without me doing anything and I
        >wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

      • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
          On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Wayne Adams <wa9vee@...> wrote:

          > Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
          > the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
          > for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
          > action yet.
          >
          > Where do I find more information? Googling W2UX doesn't bring up much.

          Maybe because it's "WU2X" :)

          http://www.wu2x.com/sdr.html

          ~Iain / N6ML

        • bill_w4zv
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Adams <wa9vee@...> wrote:

            > Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
            > the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
            > for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
            > action yet.

            Some misinformation here...

            1. LP-Bridge does include filter offset info:

            "SDR Linking... The following functions are currently linked between the K3 and the SDR software: VFO A, VFO B, Mode, IF Offset and TX/RX. The links are bidirectional, meaning that any change made on the SDR software will be reflected at the K3, and vice versa. In addition, LP-Bridge provides links for VFO B, K3 bandwidth and Preamp/Attenuator settings to allow the vertical scale in the SDR software to be re-adjusted whenever the K3 preamp or attenuator are activated. These require setting up an additional CAT interface port in the SDR software."

            http://www.telepostinc.com/LPB.html

            2. The K3 has filter offsets for 5-pole filters but no offset for 8-pole filters.

            3. Skimmer's Omni-Rig can only accept one offset.

            4. WU2X's latest version of PowerSDR does include offset corrections.

            "If you have selected the Elecraft K3 as your rig type, you don't need to put any values in for the IF Frequencies for each mode - leave them set to zero." (referring to PowerSDR...not Skimmer)

            To correct for the K3 offset issue with Skimmer, there are several potential solutions:

            1. Use only 8-pole filters which have zero offsets and thus do not change when switching filters.

            2. Keep track of which filter you are using and change the Skimmer > Settings > Radio > Audio IF setting manually when you switch filters. This isn't convenient but it's what I do. Since I use 500 Hz 8-poles in diversity 99% of the time on CW, it's not a huge problem for me.

            3. If Alex had time, it should be possible to read the K3 IF offsets via commands (as PowerSDR does) and correct the Audio IF settings automatically. However he's very busy and probably has higher priorities to worry about than this one.

            BTW I no longer use PowerSDR/HRD at all. I use only Skimmer directly with the K3, N1MM and LP-Bridge. For contesting and DX-ing on CW, I don't miss the PowerSDR/HRD combination at all, which takes quite a load off of my computer as well.

            73, Bill
          • Steve Ellington
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
              Bill
              I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                Skimmer as well.

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                  --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                  > Bill
                  > I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

                  It's not a huge issue for me since 24 kHz covers the most interesting areas of the CW bands for me. Plus you can Page Up or Down very quickly if you want to check other areas. When contesting with Blind Skimmer, I jump (up or down) to the next decoder dot. When you do this the 24 kHz window is always centered on the green passband window, so it's always tracking you as you S&P up or down the band.

                  It would be nice to have wider spans, but the advantages of Skimmer are so great compared to any other SDR waterfall, I'm willing to live with 24 kHz for those advantages. If you really want wider spans there are other alternatives like SDR-IQ, Perseus, QS1R, P3, etc. The P3 already has 200 kHz spans with higher promised for the future, and I would carefully watch what Elecraft does with that AUX DATA output on the rear. I can imagine it might make an SDR-IQ obsolete in the future.

                  73, Bill
                • bill_w4zv
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                    I contacted Larry N8LP and he reported:

                    "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                    Larry N8LP"

                  • Steve Ellington
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                      What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                      Steve

                      "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                      Larry N8LP"

                      73, Bill

                      > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                      > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                      > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                      > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                      > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                      > Skimmer as well.

                    • Jeff Blaine
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                        Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                        73/jeff/ac0c
                        www.ac0c.com

                        What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                        Steve

                        "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                        Larry N8LP"

                        73, Bill

                        > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                        > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                        > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                        > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                        > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                        > Skimmer as well.

                      • Steve Ellington
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                          Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                          Steve

                          Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                          73/jeff/ac0c
                          www.ac0c.com

                          What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                          Steve

                          "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                          Larry N8LP"

                          73, Bill

                          > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                          > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                          > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                          > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                          > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                          > Skimmer as well.

                        • Jeff Blaine
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                            Steve,

                            Lot more interoperability being squeezed out of skimmer than what it was designed with. A bit tough without that capability as part of the original feature set so most guys have to work around this and that as Alex is understandability not wanting to do a lot to the code on this older project. New fish to fry and all that...

                            Oh, I should have said more properly "Skimmer speaks to LP."

                            73/jeff/ac0c
                            www.ac0c.com

                            Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                            Steve

                            Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                            73/jeff/ac0c
                            www.ac0c.com

                            What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                            Steve

                            "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                            Larry N8LP"

                            73, Bill

                            > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                            > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                            > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                            > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                            > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                            > Skimmer as well.

                          • Steve Ellington
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                              Well the freq. change isn't all that big a deal now that I understand whats happening. I've just got one 8 pole, 400 hz filter and the rest are 5 pole so I can either skip 8 pole and jump to the 200 hz, 5 pole or change out the other 2 filters.
                              When I look at Skimmer I think....Wouldn't it make sense to turn the display up vertically like most waterfalls? So using the video card's options, I rotated the display 90 degrees and dragged the screen out to the full width of the 19" monitor. Now I can see 15 khz instead of just 6 khz of the band. Of course there is the sideways mouse issue and reading calls is not so easy.