Re: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer Audio IF frequency changes on its own

  • Ted Roycraft
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
      Where does PSDR SR get set?

      On 9/6/2010 12:22 PM, Bill wrote:

      > Make sure you do NOT have PSDR 'SR' enabled.....
      > that will create the offset.
      >
      > On 09/06/2010 10:29 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:
      > >
      > > The same thing happens to me. Usually the jump is by 1KHz. It's not an
      > > LP-PAN problem because the frequency offset of PowerSDR/IF is not
      > > affected. I sent mail to VE3NEA about it a couple of months ago but
      > > never got a reply.
      > >
      > > 73, Ted, W2ZK
      > >
      > > On 9/5/2010 10:44 PM, n4lq wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for
      > > > 1700 Hz. I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
      > > > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
      > > > frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the
      > > > Audio IF to 0 and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot
      > > > up, I'll have to change it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens
      > > > without me doing anything and I wonder if anyone else has experienced
      > > > this?

      > --

    • Steve Ellington
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
        I shut the system down and rebooted everything last night and even waited 10 minutes to power back on....Just in case. No change, my "Audio IF, Hz" Had to remain at 0 for the frequency to be correct.
        So this morning I fire everything back up and sure enough....Everything was off by 1700 HZ so I had to plug in 1700 to Audio IF. Nothing else had changed. It must be something between PSDR and Skimmer.
        SR is always turned off on PSDR but thanks for the tip.
        Steve

        Make sure you do NOT have PSDR 'SR' enabled.....
        that will create the offset.

        On 09/06/2010 10:29 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:

        > The same thing happens to me. Usually the jump is by 1KHz. It's not an
        > LP-PAN problem because the frequency offset of PowerSDR/IF is not
        > affected. I sent mail to VE3NEA about it a couple of months ago but
        > never got a reply.
        >
        > 73, Ted, W2ZK
        >
        > On 9/5/2010 10:44 PM, n4lq wrote:
        > >
        > > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for
        > > 1700 Hz. I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
        > > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
        > > frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the
        > > Audio IF to 0 and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot
        > > up, I'll have to change it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens
        > > without me doing anything and I wonder if anyone else has experienced
        > > this?

      • Steve Ellington
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
          I guess the $75 doesn't include support?

          Steve

        • K4IA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
            Happens here all the time. I never know what the offset will be when I
            turn it on and it almost always requires some fiddling. I'm using an LpPan
            with the k3.

            Buck
            k4ia

            In a message dated 9/6/2010 1:05:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            n4lq@... writes:

            I shut the system down and rebooted everything last night and even waited
            10 minutes to power back on....Just in case. No change, my "Audio IF, Hz"
            Had to remain at 0 for the frequency to be correct.
            So this morning I fire everything back up and sure enough....Everything
            was off by 1700 HZ so I had to plug in 1700 to Audio IF. Nothing else had
            changed. It must be something between PSDR and Skimmer.
            SR is always turned off on PSDR but thanks for the tip.
            Steve

            Make sure you do NOT have PSDR 'SR' enabled.....
            that will create the offset.

            On 09/06/2010 10:29 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:

            > The same thing happens to me. Usually the jump is by 1KHz. It's not an
            > LP-PAN problem because the frequency offset of PowerSDR/IF is not
            > affected. I sent mail to VE3NEA about it a couple of months ago but
            > never got a reply.
            >
            > 73, Ted, W2ZK
            >
            > On 9/5/2010 10:44 PM, n4lq wrote:
            > >
            > > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for
            > > 1700 Hz. I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
            > > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
            > > frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the
            > > Audio IF to 0 and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot
            > > up, I'll have to change it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens
            > > without me doing anything and I wonder if anyone else has experienced
            > > this?

          • Steve Ellington
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
              I just got another clue....When I call CQ, Skimmer displays my call as a CQ find about 800hz below the green arrow. I think it's picking up some spur from the LP-PAN. I've always seen these on PSDR's scope but it didn't matter.....So when I was finished calling CQ, Skimmer was off frequency again by the usual 1700 Hz.
              When it's off like this, I can click the signal from PSDR thus tunining it in and on Skimmer I can see the code but it's way off frequency. Clicking on the code changes the K3 by 830 HZ and of course I loose the signal. So now I have to change the Audio IF back to 1700 HZ.
              So Skimmer must be reacting to that spur somehow.

              Steve

              Make sure you do NOT have PSDR 'SR' enabled.....
              that will create the offset.

              On 09/06/2010 10:29 AM, Ted Roycraft wrote:

              > The same thing happens to me. Usually the jump is by 1KHz. It's not an
              > LP-PAN problem because the frequency offset of PowerSDR/IF is not
              > affected. I sent mail to VE3NEA about it a couple of months ago but
              > never got a reply.
              >
              > 73, Ted, W2ZK
              >
              > On 9/5/2010 10:44 PM, n4lq wrote:
              > >
              > > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for
              > > 1700 Hz. I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
              > > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
              > > frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the
              > > Audio IF to 0 and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot
              > > up, I'll have to change it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens
              > > without me doing anything and I wonder if anyone else has experienced
              > > this?

            • Ted Roycraft
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                LP-PAN can't cause CWSkimmer's settings to change. It simply delivers
                an audio signal to CWSkimmer and I'm pretty sure that CWSkimmer doesn't
                change its settings based on audio content - not intentionally anyway.

                Ted, W2ZK

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                  Hi Steve - isn't this just a tad over the top? In the States, it's a
                  long holiday weekend. I don't know if the same is true in Canada, but
                  when you're dealing with a one-man outfit, and when it's a sideline
                  business, you have to expect an occasional delay in response.

                  73, Pete N4ZR

                  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

                  On 9/6/2010 1:07 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:
                  > I guess the $75 doesn't include support?
                  >
                  > Steve

                • Ted Roycraft
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                    He's replying to my post where I said I sent email to VE3NEA a couple of
                    months ago about this problem but never got a reply. (See below.)

                    73, Ted, W2ZK

                    On 9/6/2010 2:23 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

                    > Hi Steve - isn't this just a tad over the top? In the States, it's a
                    > long holiday weekend. I don't know if the same is true in Canada, but
                    > when you're dealing with a one-man outfit, and when it's a sideline
                    > business, you have to expect an occasional delay in response.

                    > www.conteststations.com
                    > reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                    >
                    > On 9/6/2010 1:07 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:
                    > > I guess the $75 doesn't include support?
                    > >
                    > > Steve

                  • Steve Ellington
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                      Thanks Ted.
                      There's always a defense team on these mail list. I've looked over all the post and see many unanswered questions. That's typical of freeware but $75 is at the top end so we tend to expect more.
                      I am impressed with Skimmer's ability to decode and I especially like the reverse beacon. I've directed several folks to it and everyone was impressed. There are lots of folks who want wider bandwidth for their use with LP-PAN and other systems but it seems the author has things locked in to the QSR-1 for whatever reason. I have not seen a good explanation for this other than it is a good way to sell QSR1s. Even then...If I had the QSR1 there are interface complications with other rigs so it would be much better if Skimmer could decode the entire 192 khz.
                      Steve

                      He's replying to my post where I said I sent email to VE3NEA a couple of
                      months ago about this problem but never got a reply. (See below.)

                      73, Ted, W2ZK

                      On 9/6/2010 2:23 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

                      > Hi Steve - isn't this just a tad over the top? In the States, it's a
                      > long holiday weekend. I don't know if the same is true in Canada, but
                      > when you're dealing with a one-man outfit, and when it's a sideline
                      > business, you have to expect an occasional delay in response.

                      > www.conteststations.com
                      > reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
                      >
                      > On 9/6/2010 1:07 PM, Steve Ellington wrote:
                      > > I guess the $75 doesn't include support?
                      > >
                      > > Steve

                    • ALEX
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                        Hi n4lq,

                        I have never used K3 myself, but I was told that the exact value of IF in this radio varies with time, e.g., when the user selects a different filter. Please see if you can find any correlation between the settings of the radio and the required value of Audio IF.

                        Please email me directly if you need further help. This forum is for user to user communications, not for support requests.

                        73 Alex VE3NEA

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                          Hi Ted,

                          Please re-send your email to me, I will see if I can help you.

                          73 Alex VE3NEA

                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Ted Roycraft <w2zk@...> wrote:

                          > The same thing happens to me. Usually the jump is by 1KHz. It's not an
                          > LP-PAN problem because the frequency offset of PowerSDR/IF is not
                          > affected. I sent mail to VE3NEA about it a couple of months ago but
                          > never got a reply.
                          >
                          > 73, Ted, W2ZK
                        • ALEX
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                            Hi Steve,

                            Of course, it does not. The support is provided to both registered and unregistered users on the same basis.

                            73 Alex VE3NEA

                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                            > I guess the $75 doesn't include support?
                            >
                            > Steve

                          • Steve Ellington
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 6, 2010
                              Alex:
                              Yes...That was the problem. Changing the IF bandwidth causes the IF frequency to vary thus throwing off the skimmer display. I now remember something about this concering PowerSDR-IF and it was solved by W2UX in his version.
                              Thanks for the help!

                              Steve

                              I have never used K3 myself, but I was told that the exact value of IF in this radio varies with time, e.g., when the user selects a different filter. Please see if you can find any correlation between the settings of the radio and the required value of Audio IF.

                              Please email me directly if you need further help. This forum is for user to user communications, not for support requests.

                              73 Alex VE3NEA

                              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n4lq" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                              > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for 1700 Hz. I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
                              > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the Audio IF to 0 and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot up, I'll have to change it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens without me doing anything and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

                            • Wayne Adams
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
                                the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
                                for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
                                action yet.

                                Where do I find more information? Googling W2UX doesn't bring up much.

                                ________________________________

                                I have never used K3 myself, but I was told that the exact value of IF in this
                                radio varies with time, e.g., when the user selects a different filter. Please
                                see if you can find any correlation between the settings of the radio and the
                                required value of Audio IF.

                                Please email me directly if you need further help. This forum is for user to
                                user communications, not for support requests.

                                73 Alex VE3NEA

                                --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "n4lq" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                                > In the "settings" field for Audio IF, Hz, I normally have it set for 1700 Hz.
                                >I'm using a K3, LP-PAN here.
                                >
                                > Now and then I'll notice that the green arrow doesn't match the acutal
                                >frequency (signals appear to be offset by 1700 hz) so I change the Audio IF to 0
                                >and all is well again. Usually, the next day when I boot up, I'll have to change
                                >it back to 1700 Hz. This weird change happens without me doing anything and I
                                >wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

                              • Iain MacDonnell - N6ML
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                  On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Wayne Adams <wa9vee@...> wrote:

                                  > Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
                                  > the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
                                  > for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
                                  > action yet.
                                  >
                                  > Where do I find more information? Googling W2UX doesn't bring up much.

                                  Maybe because it's "WU2X" :)

                                  http://www.wu2x.com/sdr.html

                                  ~Iain / N6ML

                                • bill_w4zv
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Adams <wa9vee@...> wrote:

                                    > Is it really solved in the W2UX version? I have been looking for a solution to
                                    > the frequencies being wrong in Skimmer when the roofing filters change in the K3
                                    > for a long time. Before Christmas Larry put it on his LPBridge todo list, but no
                                    > action yet.

                                    Some misinformation here...

                                    1. LP-Bridge does include filter offset info:

                                    "SDR Linking... The following functions are currently linked between the K3 and the SDR software: VFO A, VFO B, Mode, IF Offset and TX/RX. The links are bidirectional, meaning that any change made on the SDR software will be reflected at the K3, and vice versa. In addition, LP-Bridge provides links for VFO B, K3 bandwidth and Preamp/Attenuator settings to allow the vertical scale in the SDR software to be re-adjusted whenever the K3 preamp or attenuator are activated. These require setting up an additional CAT interface port in the SDR software."

                                    http://www.telepostinc.com/LPB.html

                                    2. The K3 has filter offsets for 5-pole filters but no offset for 8-pole filters.

                                    3. Skimmer's Omni-Rig can only accept one offset.

                                    4. WU2X's latest version of PowerSDR does include offset corrections.

                                    "If you have selected the Elecraft K3 as your rig type, you don't need to put any values in for the IF Frequencies for each mode - leave them set to zero." (referring to PowerSDR...not Skimmer)

                                    To correct for the K3 offset issue with Skimmer, there are several potential solutions:

                                    1. Use only 8-pole filters which have zero offsets and thus do not change when switching filters.

                                    2. Keep track of which filter you are using and change the Skimmer > Settings > Radio > Audio IF setting manually when you switch filters. This isn't convenient but it's what I do. Since I use 500 Hz 8-poles in diversity 99% of the time on CW, it's not a huge problem for me.

                                    3. If Alex had time, it should be possible to read the K3 IF offsets via commands (as PowerSDR does) and correct the Audio IF settings automatically. However he's very busy and probably has higher priorities to worry about than this one.

                                    BTW I no longer use PowerSDR/HRD at all. I use only Skimmer directly with the K3, N1MM and LP-Bridge. For contesting and DX-ing on CW, I don't miss the PowerSDR/HRD combination at all, which takes quite a load off of my computer as well.

                                    73, Bill
                                  • Steve Ellington
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                      Bill
                                      I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

                                      Steve

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                        Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                                        corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                                        Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                                        implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                                        v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                                        Skimmer as well.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ellington" <n4lq@...> wrote:

                                          > Bill
                                          > I would be ok with using Skimmer and eliminate PowerSDR with the K3 if I could see more than just a small sliver of the band. In fact, it would be a no brainer since the waterfall in Skimmer seems to provide much greater detail.

                                          It's not a huge issue for me since 24 kHz covers the most interesting areas of the CW bands for me. Plus you can Page Up or Down very quickly if you want to check other areas. When contesting with Blind Skimmer, I jump (up or down) to the next decoder dot. When you do this the 24 kHz window is always centered on the green passband window, so it's always tracking you as you S&P up or down the band.

                                          It would be nice to have wider spans, but the advantages of Skimmer are so great compared to any other SDR waterfall, I'm willing to live with 24 kHz for those advantages. If you really want wider spans there are other alternatives like SDR-IQ, Perseus, QS1R, P3, etc. The P3 already has 200 kHz spans with higher promised for the future, and I would carefully watch what Elecraft does with that AUX DATA output on the rear. I can imagine it might make an SDR-IQ obsolete in the future.

                                          73, Bill
                                        • bill_w4zv
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                            I contacted Larry N8LP and he reported:

                                            "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                                            Larry N8LP"

                                          • Steve Ellington
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                              What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                                              Steve

                                              "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                                              Larry N8LP"

                                              73, Bill

                                              > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                                              > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                                              > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                                              > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                                              > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                                              > Skimmer as well.

                                            • Jeff Blaine
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                                Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                                                73/jeff/ac0c
                                                www.ac0c.com

                                                What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                                                Steve

                                                "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                                                Larry N8LP"

                                                73, Bill

                                                > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                                                > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                                                > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                                                > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                                                > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                                                > Skimmer as well.

                                              • Steve Ellington
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                                  Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                                                  Steve

                                                  Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                                                  73/jeff/ac0c
                                                  www.ac0c.com

                                                  What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                                                  Steve

                                                  "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                                                  Larry N8LP"

                                                  73, Bill

                                                  > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                                                  > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                                                  > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                                                  > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                                                  > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                                                  > Skimmer as well.

                                                • Jeff Blaine
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                                    Steve,

                                                    Lot more interoperability being squeezed out of skimmer than what it was designed with. A bit tough without that capability as part of the original feature set so most guys have to work around this and that as Alex is understandability not wanting to do a lot to the code on this older project. New fish to fry and all that...

                                                    Oh, I should have said more properly "Skimmer speaks to LP."

                                                    73/jeff/ac0c
                                                    www.ac0c.com

                                                    Ah Ha....Thanks Jeff. I never would have guessed!
                                                    Steve

                                                    Telnet is how LP speaks to Skimmer. No telnet, no correction.

                                                    73/jeff/ac0c
                                                    www.ac0c.com

                                                    What does Telnet and Audio IF correction have in common? Sounds like 2 separate projects to me.

                                                    Steve

                                                    "One of many things on the LP-Bridge list. First I have to add the telnet interface, unfortunately ;-(

                                                    Larry N8LP"

                                                    73, Bill

                                                    > Larry, the author of LP-Bridge, emailed me a while ago, explained how he
                                                    > corrected for the IF variability in PowerSDR, and requested that I add a Set
                                                    > Audio IF command to the Telnet interface in CW Skimmer so that he can
                                                    > implement the same correction for the Skimmer. I added this command in
                                                    > v.1.6, hopefully Larry will eventually implement the IF correction for CW
                                                    > Skimmer as well.

                                                  • Steve Ellington
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                                      Well the freq. change isn't all that big a deal now that I understand whats happening. I've just got one 8 pole, 400 hz filter and the rest are 5 pole so I can either skip 8 pole and jump to the 200 hz, 5 pole or change out the other 2 filters.
                                                      When I look at Skimmer I think....Wouldn't it make sense to turn the display up vertically like most waterfalls? So using the video card's options, I rotated the display 90 degrees and dragged the screen out to the full width of the 19" monitor. Now I can see 15 khz instead of just 6 khz of the band. Of course there is the sideways mouse issue and reading calls is not so easy.