Re: [dxatlas] How do you tell omni-rig the address of a 756 PRO?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
      Hi Jim,

      The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master means
      that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the error
      message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close all
      programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
      Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they both
      use OmniRig for CAT control.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
        Hi Alex

        I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)

        First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
        COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.

        My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
        my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
        using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
        PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
        level converter into COM1.

        You've probably already figured out what comes next.

        I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
        PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.

        Works FB now.

        BandMaster also works now.

        SEAN

        Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
        into offering suggestions as to what to try.

        73, Jim Smith VE7FO

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
          Hi Jim,

          You cannot use the same COM port for Rig1 and Rig2. If your COM1 is used for
          Rig1, then it is not available to Rig2! Select None for the second radio.

          Alex

          > I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)
          >
          > First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
          > COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.
          >
          > My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
          > my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
          > using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
          > PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
          > level converter into COM1.
          >
          > You've probably already figured out what comes next.
          >
          > I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
          > PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.
          >
          > Works FB now.
          >
          > BandMaster also works now.
          >

          > SEAN
          >
          > Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
          > into offering suggestions as to what to try.
          >
          > 73, Jim Smith VE7FO
          >
          > On 8/24/2010 6:32 AM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
          >> Hi Jim,
          >>
          >> The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master
          >> means
          >> that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the
          >> error
          >> message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close
          >> all
          >> programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
          >> Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they
          >> both
          >> use OmniRig for CAT control.
          >>
          >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

        • Jim Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
            QSL & tnx, Alex

            I guess I figured access to COM1 would be switched when switching
            between radios. Anyway, all working FB now.

            Tnx for your help

            73, Jim Smith VE7FO