Re: [dxatlas] How do you tell omni-rig the address of a 756 PRO?

  • Sean, G4UCJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
      Hi Jim, hmmm. First of all I would try enabling the CI-V transceive function
      on the 756 9some apps, like SWLog will not change frequency unless
      transceive is enabled (as I have found out - there is a note saying that for
      best performance disable transceive but when I did I lost the ability to
      change frequency). OK I just tried that and it made no difference - I have
      Faros working with or without transceive enabled, but it is worth a try as
      your interface could be different.

      If N1MM is working then the chances are your interface is working OK. You
      could try messing about with DTR and RTS (my one is a USB-CI-V lead and
      doesn't need either to be high). Other than that I can't see any reason for
      it not to work, providing the com port is available and not being used by
      another program (that does sometimes happen, the com port not being released
      when a program is terminated).

      I think you may need the help of someone who understands serial port comms -
      I don't, I just happen to run the same rig as you

       Sorry I can't be of more assistance Jim.
      ----------------
      73 de
      Sean Gilbert,
      G4UCJ - G4001SWL - SWLR-ZN018
      Digital Monitoring Station: GB969101
      Buckingham, Bucks. WWloc: IO92MA
      Web: http://www.hfradio.org.uk
      Blog: http://radioactive.hfradio.org.uk
      RX 1: IC756PRO, CI-V, SEM Multifilter
      RX 2: Racal RA1792
      ANT 1: Inverted Half size G5RV @ 10m agl
      ANT 2: Wellbrook ALA1530+ @ 3m agl

      30MDG: #0464; #0463L; EPC: #008L; #015L; CDG: #150
      DMC: #016SWL; #017SWL; #990; TRC: #018; PODXS 070: #139
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
        Hi Jim,

        The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master means
        that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the error
        message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close all
        programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
        Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they both
        use OmniRig for CAT control.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
          Hi Alex

          I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)

          First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
          COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.

          My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
          my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
          using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
          PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
          level converter into COM1.

          You've probably already figured out what comes next.

          I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
          PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.

          Works FB now.

          BandMaster also works now.

          SEAN

          Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
          into offering suggestions as to what to try.

          73, Jim Smith VE7FO

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            You cannot use the same COM port for Rig1 and Rig2. If your COM1 is used for
            Rig1, then it is not available to Rig2! Select None for the second radio.

            Alex

            > I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)
            >
            > First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
            > COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.
            >
            > My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
            > my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
            > using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
            > PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
            > level converter into COM1.
            >
            > You've probably already figured out what comes next.
            >
            > I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
            > PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.
            >
            > Works FB now.
            >
            > BandMaster also works now.
            >

            > SEAN
            >
            > Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
            > into offering suggestions as to what to try.
            >
            > 73, Jim Smith VE7FO
            >
            > On 8/24/2010 6:32 AM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
            >> Hi Jim,
            >>
            >> The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master
            >> means
            >> that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the
            >> error
            >> message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close
            >> all
            >> programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
            >> Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they
            >> both
            >> use OmniRig for CAT control.
            >>
            >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

          • Jim Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
              QSL & tnx, Alex

              I guess I figured access to COM1 would be switched when switching
              between radios. Anyway, all working FB now.

              Tnx for your help

              73, Jim Smith VE7FO