How do you tell omni-rig the address of a 756 PRO?

  • Sean, G4UCJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2010
      I'm using Omni Rig with an IC756pro (admittedly as Rig 1, but it would be
      the same for Rig 2), my settings are: Com: 6; Baud: 19200, data bits: 8;
      parity: none; stop bits: 1; rts: low; dtr: low; poll: 500ms; timeout: 4000ms
      You may need to set rts or drt to high dependent on the configuration of
      your CI-V interface.

      As far as I am aware, the address is hard-coded to the rig (when you select
      IC756pro, it defaults to 5C, (if you have changed the address in the rig's
      menu then you may experience problems as omni rig will be looking for the 5C
      address).

      Each Icom has it's own default address - a pro 2 has a different address to
      a pro or a pro 3, I think this is why you don't see a box to select the
      physical address.

      Hope that clears it a little

      ----------------
      73 de
      Sean Gilbert,
      G4UCJ - G4001SWL - SWLR-ZN018
      Digital Monitoring Station: GB969101
      Buckingham, Bucks. WWloc: IO92MA
      Web: http://www.hfradio.org.uk
      Blog: http://radioactive.hfradio.org.uk
      RX 1: IC756PRO, CI-V, SEM Multifilter
      RX 2: Racal RA1792
      ANT 1: Inverted Half size G5RV @ 10m agl
      ANT 2: Wellbrook ALA1530+ @ 3m agl

      30MDG: #0464; #0463L; EPC: #008L; #015L; CDG: #150
      DMC: #016SWL; #017SWL; #990; PODXS 070: #139
    • Jim Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
        Hi Sean

        Thanks for the helpful note. I'll stop looking for a way to tell
        OmniRig the PRO address.

        However, Faros still not working. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

        Right now I've got the PRO plugged into COM 1 with my home brew level
        converter I got off DF4OR's web page (KG7SG's) and N1MM running

        http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-sch1.html

        N1MM is configured for COM1, 19200 baud, 8N1, Icom code 5C, RTS and DTR
        Always On

        The PRO is configured for 19200 baud, CIV address 5Ch, CI-V Transceive
        OFF and CI-V with IC-731 OFF.

        Clicking on a frequency (or band or mode) in the N1MM bandmap makes the
        PRO do what you would expect. Similarly, changing frequency (or band or
        mode) on the PRO has N1MM react the way you would expect.

        Now kill N1MM and start Faros.

        No changes made to PRO settings.

        In Faros View > Settings the dialogue box shows Enable CAT interface,
        Use Radio2 and Force CW Mode all checked.

        Clicking Configure shows RIG2 IC-756 Pro, Port COM 1, Baud rate 19200,
        Data bits 8, Parity None, Stop Bits 1, RTS High, DTR High, Poll int 500
        ms, Timeout 4000 ms

        Faros just sits there defiantly with the radio icon at the bottom left
        corner with a red background.

        Changing the baud rate to 9600 in Faros and on the PRO makes no difference.

        I thought I'd try BandMaster to see if it would work so downloaded and
        installed it. I got a black rectangle at the top of the bandmap, just
        above the band selection buttons, saying "Port is not available."
        Couldn't find anything to tell me what that means. However clicking on
        the band map has no effect on the PRO frequency.

        Just for fun, I went into Device Manager and changed the handshaking of
        the COM1 port (Flow control) from None to Hardware. Didn't help so
        changed it back.

        Checked all the connections on the interface which is somewhat fragile
        as it is built on a breadboard socket. All OK there

        Next step is to substitute an IC-706 Mk IIG and see if I can get Faros
        to work with that.

        After that, haul the giant Tek 545 scope out of the garage and check out
        the level converter - big hassle.

        Ideas?

        73, Jim Smith VE7FO

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
          Hi Jim, hmmm. First of all I would try enabling the CI-V transceive function
          on the 756 9some apps, like SWLog will not change frequency unless
          transceive is enabled (as I have found out - there is a note saying that for
          best performance disable transceive but when I did I lost the ability to
          change frequency). OK I just tried that and it made no difference - I have
          Faros working with or without transceive enabled, but it is worth a try as
          your interface could be different.

          If N1MM is working then the chances are your interface is working OK. You
          could try messing about with DTR and RTS (my one is a USB-CI-V lead and
          doesn't need either to be high). Other than that I can't see any reason for
          it not to work, providing the com port is available and not being used by
          another program (that does sometimes happen, the com port not being released
          when a program is terminated).

          I think you may need the help of someone who understands serial port comms -
          I don't, I just happen to run the same rig as you

           Sorry I can't be of more assistance Jim.
          ----------------
          73 de
          Sean Gilbert,
          G4UCJ - G4001SWL - SWLR-ZN018
          Digital Monitoring Station: GB969101
          Buckingham, Bucks. WWloc: IO92MA
          Web: http://www.hfradio.org.uk
          Blog: http://radioactive.hfradio.org.uk
          RX 1: IC756PRO, CI-V, SEM Multifilter
          RX 2: Racal RA1792
          ANT 1: Inverted Half size G5RV @ 10m agl
          ANT 2: Wellbrook ALA1530+ @ 3m agl

          30MDG: #0464; #0463L; EPC: #008L; #015L; CDG: #150
          DMC: #016SWL; #017SWL; #990; TRC: #018; PODXS 070: #139
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
            Hi Jim,

            The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master means
            that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the error
            message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close all
            programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
            Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they both
            use OmniRig for CAT control.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2010
              Hi Alex

              I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)

              First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
              COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.

              My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
              my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
              using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
              PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
              level converter into COM1.

              You've probably already figured out what comes next.

              I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
              PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.

              Works FB now.

              BandMaster also works now.

              SEAN

              Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
              into offering suggestions as to what to try.

              73, Jim Smith VE7FO

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
                Hi Jim,

                You cannot use the same COM port for Rig1 and Rig2. If your COM1 is used for
                Rig1, then it is not available to Rig2! Select None for the second radio.

                Alex

                > I found the problem (though don't know why it should be a problem)
                >
                > First thing I tried was reboot the computer so anything hanging onto the
                > COM port would let go then ran Faros. Didn't work.
                >
                > My computer has one COM port. I configured Omni-Rig so that Radio1 was
                > my MkV on COM1 and Radio2 was the PRO, also on COM1. When I run Faros
                > using my MkV I plug it's CAT cable into COM1. When I tried to use the
                > PRO I unplugged the MkV CAT cable from COM1 and plugged in my home brew
                > level converter into COM1.
                >
                > You've probably already figured out what comes next.
                >
                > I reversed the roles of Radio1 and Radio2 in OmniRig so Radio1 is the
                > PRO and Radio2 is the MkV.
                >
                > Works FB now.
                >
                > BandMaster also works now.
                >

                > SEAN
                >
                > Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the time you put
                > into offering suggestions as to what to try.
                >
                > 73, Jim Smith VE7FO
                >
                > On 8/24/2010 6:32 AM, Alex, VE3NEA wrote:
                >> Hi Jim,
                >>
                >> The "Port is not available" error message you can see in Band Master
                >> means
                >> that another program is already using the COM port. If you checked the
                >> error
                >> message in Faros, it would likely be the same. To fix the problem, close
                >> all
                >> programs that may use the COM port before starting Faros or Band Master.
                >> Note that you can run Band Master and Faros simultaneously because they
                >> both
                >> use OmniRig for CAT control.
                >>
                >> 73 Alex VE3NEA

              • Jim Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 25, 2010
                  QSL & tnx, Alex

                  I guess I figured access to COM1 would be switched when switching
                  between radios. Anyway, all working FB now.

                  Tnx for your help

                  73, Jim Smith VE7FO