Re:Faros has stopped detecting beacons

  • Bert - W0RSB
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2010
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bert - W0RSB" <bert.hyman@>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > I think there might be a time problem ...
      >
      > Generaly, the server timestamps should all be in the same range, +-
      > a few mS, straddling the red line. That in turn often slopes up or
      > down, depending on the exact CPU clock behaviour of your machine.

      The servers all appear to be consistent with themselves, but are tens
      or even hundreds of milliseconds apart from one another.

      > Try and find out what addresses your ISP's NTP servers are at, and
      > add them to Faros's list of known servers.
      > You might also want to use the local (to you) "NTP Pool" server.

      I'm using my ISP's server (ntp.iphouse.com), my ex-ISP's server
      (ntp.visi.com), and two servers from the U of Mn. Since they're
      all here in town, I expected decent results. I looked at the
      pool servers, but haven't added one to the list yet.

      The servers I'm using all report delays of less than 50ms on the
      Faros test, but if I'm interpreting the numbers correctly the
      time difference between my own ISP and my ex-ISP is on the order of
      300ms. The two servers at the UoMn appear to be about 170ms apart.

      The only way I can get Faros to recognize a beacon is to manually
      enter a DelayCorr value of about 350ms.

      This had been working flawlessly for a very long time; I've made
      no intentional changes here, so I'm somewhat at a loss.