Re:Faros has stopped detecting beacons

  • Bert - W0RSB
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21 9:42 AM
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bert - W0RSB" <bert.hyman@...> wrote:

      > I think there might be a time problem ...

      Now I'm pretty sure it's a time problem, although I have no idea what
      to do about it.

      After letting Faros run for several hours, I got one detection, VE8AT
      on 20M, but the "Details" tab showed the delay as -52ms. I cranked
      the "Delay correction" spinner to its max of -99ms and started seeing
      more detections. I then edited the Faros.ini file, setting "DelayCorr"
      to -150ms and am seeing even more. Even so, the delay values on the
      Details tab are all over the screen, so something's certainly not
      right.
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22 7:19 AM
        wrote:

        > I think there might be a time problem ...

        Generaly, the server timestamps should all be in the same range, +- a
        few mS, straddling the red line. That in turn often slopes up or down,
        depending on the exact CPU clock behaviour of your machine.

        Try and find out what addresses your ISP's NTP servers are at, and add
        them to Faros's list of known servers.
        You might also want to use the local (to you) "NTP Pool" server.

        I found that you need to watch that time status display, and see which
        servers were consistantly the best at timestamping, then de-select the
        others, leaving 2 or three relatively good ones.

        You could also delete some/all of the other server addresses that can't
        be reached. The file you want is 'TimeServer.lst' in Faro's main
        folder. You'll need to stop, unload and restart Faros for any changes
        to be seen.

        I have to say, I gave up about a year ago with both my ISP's and public
        servers, as my ISP/WAN performance is too variable now, and set to and
        got a local NTP server working on an old PC, using a Garmin GPS16
        receiver (any RX *Must* have the 1pps signal) and the Meinberg port (on
        Windows 2000) of the NTPD daemon software.

        It works very well. Short latency (single figure ms!) and stable
        timestamps. I have a FreeBSD based machine waiting in the wings too.
        I've also got all other pc's in the house to use it as their time
        reference.

        See what you can scare up from your ISP if posible, but many are
        rationalising things to save costs, and sadly they seem to agregate
        several services onto one set of machines. My ISP use their gateway
        router machines to run their NTP servers now, result, like you, time
        stamps all over the place, and variable distribution as their network
        load changes over a 24 hour period. Not good.

        If you cant find a good couple of public servers, let us know, and I'll
        point you at the places I found the info about, re setting up your own
        NTP server.

        73.

        Dave G0WBX.
      • Bert - W0RSB
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22 9:55 AM
          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

          > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bert - W0RSB" <bert.hyman@>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > I think there might be a time problem ...
          >
          > Generaly, the server timestamps should all be in the same range, +-
          > a few mS, straddling the red line. That in turn often slopes up or
          > down, depending on the exact CPU clock behaviour of your machine.

          The servers all appear to be consistent with themselves, but are tens
          or even hundreds of milliseconds apart from one another.

          > Try and find out what addresses your ISP's NTP servers are at, and
          > add them to Faros's list of known servers.
          > You might also want to use the local (to you) "NTP Pool" server.

          I'm using my ISP's server (ntp.iphouse.com), my ex-ISP's server
          (ntp.visi.com), and two servers from the U of Mn. Since they're
          all here in town, I expected decent results. I looked at the
          pool servers, but haven't added one to the list yet.

          The servers I'm using all report delays of less than 50ms on the
          Faros test, but if I'm interpreting the numbers correctly the
          time difference between my own ISP and my ex-ISP is on the order of
          300ms. The two servers at the UoMn appear to be about 170ms apart.

          The only way I can get Faros to recognize a beacon is to manually
          enter a DelayCorr value of about 350ms.

          This had been working flawlessly for a very long time; I've made
          no intentional changes here, so I'm somewhat at a loss.