Re:Faros has stopped detecting beacons

  • Bert - W0RSB
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21, 2010
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

      > > Faros has stopped detecting beacons
      > > Posted by: "Bert - W0RSB" bert.hyman@... bert.hyman
      > > Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:47 am (PDT)
      > >
      > > Maybe yesterday, certainly this morning, my copy of Faros stopped
      > > detecting beacons.
      > > I can hear them and see them in both the waterfall and spectrum
      > > windows, but they all show "No signal."
      > > Any suggestions for diagnosing this problem?
      > >

      > Hi Bert.
      >
      > What are the status indicators showing at the bottom left, in
      > particular, the ones for the clock and radio? Are they Red or
      > Yellow?
      > If so, there is a problem with whatever is showing that. If it's
      > the radio that it thinks is bad, check all the remote control
      > cables etc, also see if you can control it from OmniRig, in it's
      > own right. If it's the clock gone bad, you may need to find and
      > use another NTP server, or selection of them.

      All the indicators are gray (normal) and rig control works as always.

      I think there might be a time problem, although I haven't looked at
      that particular display for a very long time, so maybe it's always
      been this way.

      I can only find 7 time servers with delays less than 60ms, and only
      two with delays less than 50ms. But, they all seem to have wildly
      different ideas about what time it is. The red line (software
      clock) runs right down the zero line, but the reports from the
      various servers are all over the screen.

      Is the exact meaning of the various displayed values in the "Clock
      Accuracy" tab explained anywhere?

      Still, the signals for the beacons that I can hear still show up
      in their appropriate slots on the "Monitor" display, positioned
      pretty much where I remember them being before.

      > Is there enough available disk space available? I have seen Faros
      > stop doing things, or do something very odd, when it can't save the
      > history files.

      Hundreds of GB left on the drive where Faros is installed.

      > Also, when it's been running nonstop for some weeks, it seems to
      > start ignoring things, getting worse the longer you leave it.
      > Shutting down/restarting always seems to fix that.

      I actually used to run it 24/7 for a while, only pausing it when
      I was on the air. I stopped that a few months ago and didn't see
      any change in behavior 'til just a couple of days ago.

      > Lastly, try a machine restart, as in shutdown/turn off (the radio
      > too!)
      > Then reboot and bring it back up again, watching for errors as it
      > comes back to life, and when you start Faros after the PC has
      > settled.

      This being Windows, rebooting was the very first thing I tried :-)

      The radio's been powered off and on a few times in the interval,
      although I haven't tried a master clear yet (it's a TenTec Omni 7).

      > Hope something helps.
      >
      > Dave G0WBX.
      > http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/Faros/ibp-at-wbx.html

    • Bert - W0RSB
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21, 2010
        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bert - W0RSB" <bert.hyman@...> wrote:

        > I think there might be a time problem ...

        Now I'm pretty sure it's a time problem, although I have no idea what
        to do about it.

        After letting Faros run for several hours, I got one detection, VE8AT
        on 20M, but the "Details" tab showed the delay as -52ms. I cranked
        the "Delay correction" spinner to its max of -99ms and started seeing
        more detections. I then edited the Faros.ini file, setting "DelayCorr"
        to -150ms and am seeing even more. Even so, the delay values on the
        Details tab are all over the screen, so something's certainly not
        right.
      • Dave Baxter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22, 2010
          wrote:

          > I think there might be a time problem ...

          Generaly, the server timestamps should all be in the same range, +- a
          few mS, straddling the red line. That in turn often slopes up or down,
          depending on the exact CPU clock behaviour of your machine.

          Try and find out what addresses your ISP's NTP servers are at, and add
          them to Faros's list of known servers.
          You might also want to use the local (to you) "NTP Pool" server.

          I found that you need to watch that time status display, and see which
          servers were consistantly the best at timestamping, then de-select the
          others, leaving 2 or three relatively good ones.

          You could also delete some/all of the other server addresses that can't
          be reached. The file you want is 'TimeServer.lst' in Faro's main
          folder. You'll need to stop, unload and restart Faros for any changes
          to be seen.

          I have to say, I gave up about a year ago with both my ISP's and public
          servers, as my ISP/WAN performance is too variable now, and set to and
          got a local NTP server working on an old PC, using a Garmin GPS16
          receiver (any RX *Must* have the 1pps signal) and the Meinberg port (on
          Windows 2000) of the NTPD daemon software.

          It works very well. Short latency (single figure ms!) and stable
          timestamps. I have a FreeBSD based machine waiting in the wings too.
          I've also got all other pc's in the house to use it as their time
          reference.

          See what you can scare up from your ISP if posible, but many are
          rationalising things to save costs, and sadly they seem to agregate
          several services onto one set of machines. My ISP use their gateway
          router machines to run their NTP servers now, result, like you, time
          stamps all over the place, and variable distribution as their network
          load changes over a 24 hour period. Not good.

          If you cant find a good couple of public servers, let us know, and I'll
          point you at the places I found the info about, re setting up your own
          NTP server.

          73.

          Dave G0WBX.
        • Bert - W0RSB
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2010
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Bert - W0RSB" <bert.hyman@>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > I think there might be a time problem ...
            >
            > Generaly, the server timestamps should all be in the same range, +-
            > a few mS, straddling the red line. That in turn often slopes up or
            > down, depending on the exact CPU clock behaviour of your machine.

            The servers all appear to be consistent with themselves, but are tens
            or even hundreds of milliseconds apart from one another.

            > Try and find out what addresses your ISP's NTP servers are at, and
            > add them to Faros's list of known servers.
            > You might also want to use the local (to you) "NTP Pool" server.

            I'm using my ISP's server (ntp.iphouse.com), my ex-ISP's server
            (ntp.visi.com), and two servers from the U of Mn. Since they're
            all here in town, I expected decent results. I looked at the
            pool servers, but haven't added one to the list yet.

            The servers I'm using all report delays of less than 50ms on the
            Faros test, but if I'm interpreting the numbers correctly the
            time difference between my own ISP and my ex-ISP is on the order of
            300ms. The two servers at the UoMn appear to be about 170ms apart.

            The only way I can get Faros to recognize a beacon is to manually
            enter a DelayCorr value of about 350ms.

            This had been working flawlessly for a very long time; I've made
            no intentional changes here, so I'm somewhat at a loss.