Re: Windows 7 64-bit work-arounds for Band Master, IonoProbe, HamCap & ITSHFBC

  • clarkmacaulay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2010
      Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of problems.

      73,

      Clark WU4B

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ae9k_dan" <AE9K@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > couldn't find ITSHFBC. This turned out to be a problem specifically
      > with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Windows 7.
      >
      > HamCap tries to find the ITSHFBC executables by looking in the registry
      > for their installation directory. On 64-bit Windows, the registry value
      > HamCap looks for is:
      > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B\
      > 328085-F1A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}\InstallLocation. Unfortunately, the
      > installer for ITSHFB doesn't create this registry key and value so
      > HamCap quits and displays an error about not finding ITSHFBC. The
      > ITSHFBC installer does, however, write to the registry value
      > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B328085-F1A5-\
      > 4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}\InstallLocation.
      >
      > So, all that was needed was to create the missing
      > '{1B328085-F1A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}' key and associated
      > 'InstallLocation' as shown highlighted above (InstallLocation is of type
      > REG_SZ and its value is the path where you installed ITSHFBC).
      >
      > Even though the
      > keyHKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B328085-F1\
      > A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216} also contains various other values, don't
      > recreate them under the new key. Doing so will cause Windows to show
      > two instances of ITSHFBC within Control Panel, Programs and Features.
      > If all you create is the key and InstallLocation value, Programs and
      > Features will show one installed instance.
      >
      > If you haven't installed 32-bit apps like these on 64-bit Windows, be
      > aware that Windows will in most cases notice it's 32-bit on install and
      > suggest a base path like C:\Program Files (x86)\ - that's normal. With
      > ITSHFBC, Windows doesn't know what's being installed and I think that's
      > why the registry values written are not backward compatible.
      >
      > I should mention that the above work-arounds are in addition to the use
      > of a custom install path. I saw a thread on this forum about installing
      > to a path of your choosing as opposed to accepting the C:\Program Files\
      > base path due to the restrictions Windows imposes there. I installed
      > everything to the base path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ to keep C:
      > just for Windows.
      >
      > For those that don't want ITSHFBC in its default c:\itshfb base
      > directory and think that the warning about using paths with spaces means
      > trouble, just use the 8.3 character equivalent of any path you want to
      > use. For example, the path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ is in 8.3
      > format just D:\Progra~1\Radio\. The number after the tilde may be
      > different if you have multiple paths for which the first 8 characters
      > are the same. If so, just open a CMD.EXE prompt and at the root of your
      > desired drive do a 'dir /x' and that will show the short and long
      > versions of all the directory names. When installing ITSHFBC, just use
      > the tilde style version of the path and it's happy.
      >
      > If you're moving to 64-bit Windows 7 I hope this will save you some

    • ae9k_dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2010
        I would assume that compatibility mode would still be necessary for all
        four applications (Band Master, DX Atlas, Ionoprobe and HamCap). I
        think compatibility mode addresses problems introduced by the Win 7
        security model which is common to both 64 and 32-bit versions.

        There should not be an issue with ITSHFBC on 32-bit Win 7. The problem
        I mentioned was with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Win 7 -
        specifically regarding registry keys that provide for backward (32-bit
        on 64-bit) compatibility.

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com> , "clarkmacaulay"
        <clark.macaulay@...> wrote:

        > Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I
        specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of
        problems.

        > 73,
        >
        > Clark WU4B

      • Michael G. Carper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2010
          I'm using Band Master with Win7 64-bit now. and was using it with Win7
          32-bit. In both cases, the only approach I'm award of to make this work
          correction (as discussed in this forum previously) is:

          - Download and save the application in some install directory

          - Right-click the install file

          - Run as Administrator

          - Have a nice day

          Mike, WA9PIE

          I would assume that compatibility mode would still be necessary for all
          four applications (Band Master, DX Atlas, Ionoprobe and HamCap). I
          think compatibility mode addresses problems introduced by the Win 7
          security model which is common to both 64 and 32-bit versions.

          There should not be an issue with ITSHFBC on 32-bit Win 7. The problem
          I mentioned was with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Win 7 -
          specifically regarding registry keys that provide for backward (32-bit
          on 64-bit) compatibility.

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com> > , "clarkmacaulay"
          <clark.macaulay@...> wrote:

          > Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I
          specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of
          problems.

          > 73,
          >
          > Clark WU4B

        • Dean Davis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2010
            Running older non-windows 7 apps is a snap. Just create a folder outside
            c:\program files and install your software there. So far I have gotten
            everything to work without any problems.

            Normal
            0

            false
            false