Windows 7 64-bit work-arounds for Band Master, IonoProbe, HamCap & ITSHFBC

  • ae9k_dan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6 5:30 PM
      I didn't see a previous post about Windows 7 64-bit integration so I
      thought I'd pass on what worked for me.

      Band Master, IonoProbe and HamCap all required compatibility mode (XP
      SP3 worked for all three). Without this, each generated a similar
      error:

      Exception EOleSysError in module IonoProbe.exe at 0007556D.
      Error accessing the OLE registry.

      Compatibility mode is set by right-clicking the program icon, select
      Properties, Compatibility tab, and check 'Run this program in
      compatibility mode for:' and select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)'. DX
      Atlas did not require compatibility mode to run.

      With compatibility mode, HamCap would start but it complained it
      couldn't find ITSHFBC. This turned out to be a problem specifically
      with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Windows 7.

      HamCap tries to find the ITSHFBC executables by looking in the registry
      for their installation directory. On 64-bit Windows, the registry value
      HamCap looks for is:
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B\
      328085-F1A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}\InstallLocation. Unfortunately, the
      installer for ITSHFB doesn't create this registry key and value so
      HamCap quits and displays an error about not finding ITSHFBC. The
      ITSHFBC installer does, however, write to the registry value
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B328085-F1A5-\
      4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}\InstallLocation.

      So, all that was needed was to create the missing
      '{1B328085-F1A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216}' key and associated
      'InstallLocation' as shown highlighted above (InstallLocation is of type
      REG_SZ and its value is the path where you installed ITSHFBC).

      Even though the
      keyHKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1B328085-F1\
      A5-4AB8-8986-0103C5800216} also contains various other values, don't
      recreate them under the new key. Doing so will cause Windows to show
      two instances of ITSHFBC within Control Panel, Programs and Features.
      If all you create is the key and InstallLocation value, Programs and
      Features will show one installed instance.

      If you haven't installed 32-bit apps like these on 64-bit Windows, be
      aware that Windows will in most cases notice it's 32-bit on install and
      suggest a base path like C:\Program Files (x86)\ - that's normal. With
      ITSHFBC, Windows doesn't know what's being installed and I think that's
      why the registry values written are not backward compatible.

      I should mention that the above work-arounds are in addition to the use
      of a custom install path. I saw a thread on this forum about installing
      to a path of your choosing as opposed to accepting the C:\Program Files\
      base path due to the restrictions Windows imposes there. I installed
      everything to the base path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ to keep C:
      just for Windows.

      For those that don't want ITSHFBC in its default c:\itshfb base
      directory and think that the warning about using paths with spaces means
      trouble, just use the 8.3 character equivalent of any path you want to
      use. For example, the path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ is in 8.3
      format just D:\Progra~1\Radio\. The number after the tilde may be
      different if you have multiple paths for which the first 8 characters
      are the same. If so, just open a CMD.EXE prompt and at the root of your
      desired drive do a 'dir /x' and that will show the short and long
      versions of all the directory names. When installing ITSHFBC, just use
      the tilde style version of the path and it's happy.

      If you're moving to 64-bit Windows 7 I hope this will save you some
      time.

      73s

      Dan
      AE9K

    • ae9k_dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9 9:04 AM
        > Atlas did not require compatibility mode to run.

        True but DX Atlas would not retrieve live indices from IonoProbe unless DX Atlas was either run in compatibility mode (XP SP3) or was run as administrator.

        73s,

        Dan
        AE9K
      • clarkmacaulay
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13 11:26 AM
          Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of problems.

          73,

          Clark WU4B

          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ae9k_dan" <AE9K@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > everything to the base path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ to keep C:
          > just for Windows.
          >
          > For those that don't want ITSHFBC in its default c:\itshfb base
          > directory and think that the warning about using paths with spaces means
          > trouble, just use the 8.3 character equivalent of any path you want to
          > use. For example, the path D:\Program Files (x86)\Radio\ is in 8.3
          > format just D:\Progra~1\Radio\. The number after the tilde may be
          > different if you have multiple paths for which the first 8 characters
          > are the same. If so, just open a CMD.EXE prompt and at the root of your
          > desired drive do a 'dir /x' and that will show the short and long
          > versions of all the directory names. When installing ITSHFBC, just use
          > the tilde style version of the path and it's happy.
          >
          > If you're moving to 64-bit Windows 7 I hope this will save you some

        • ae9k_dan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19 12:31 PM
            I would assume that compatibility mode would still be necessary for all
            four applications (Band Master, DX Atlas, Ionoprobe and HamCap). I
            think compatibility mode addresses problems introduced by the Win 7
            security model which is common to both 64 and 32-bit versions.

            There should not be an issue with ITSHFBC on 32-bit Win 7. The problem
            I mentioned was with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Win 7 -
            specifically regarding registry keys that provide for backward (32-bit
            on 64-bit) compatibility.

            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com> , "clarkmacaulay"
            <clark.macaulay@...> wrote:

            > Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I
            specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of
            problems.

            > 73,
            >
            > Clark WU4B

          • Michael G. Carper
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 21 4:40 AM
              I'm using Band Master with Win7 64-bit now. and was using it with Win7
              32-bit. In both cases, the only approach I'm award of to make this work
              correction (as discussed in this forum previously) is:

              - Download and save the application in some install directory

              - Right-click the install file

              - Run as Administrator

              - Have a nice day

              Mike, WA9PIE

              I would assume that compatibility mode would still be necessary for all
              four applications (Band Master, DX Atlas, Ionoprobe and HamCap). I
              think compatibility mode addresses problems introduced by the Win 7
              security model which is common to both 64 and 32-bit versions.

              There should not be an issue with ITSHFBC on 32-bit Win 7. The problem
              I mentioned was with the ITSHFBC installer on 64-bit Win 7 -
              specifically regarding registry keys that provide for backward (32-bit
              on 64-bit) compatibility.

              --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com>
              <mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:dxatlas_group%40yahoogroups.com> > , "clarkmacaulay"
              <clark.macaulay@...> wrote:

              > Would the same workaround be required for Windows 7 32bit OS? I
              specfically chose the 32bit OS so as to minimize these kinds of
              problems.

              > 73,
              >
              > Clark WU4B

            • Dean Davis
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21 7:01 AM
                Running older non-windows 7 apps is a snap. Just create a folder outside
                c:\program files and install your software there. So far I have gotten
                everything to work without any problems.

                Normal
                0

                false
                false